baby bunny won't eat pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you cover the floor with something hard? Like some wood? Or tiles? Or cardboard?

You can use a piece of sheetrock (Wallboard) or plywood. He could just be a "scrabbler". I have a few of those. They insist on digging in their food dish! Spread it all over the place. But then eat up what they spilled. It's worth a try. (Did you ask the breeder if they were on a solid floor or a wire floor?)

if i put something hard on the floor of it, then he'll just make a mess all over my floor. i did it when i first got him and woke up with his dropping, hay and pellets all over my floor

Then I suggest also covering the bottom few inches of the sides, so any mess he does make, stays inside his cage, on his floor instead of on yours.
Or put a tarp, plastic, piece of carpet, or anything, under his cage, partly covering your floor, so any mess gets caught on the tarp (or whatever you use). That way your floor is protected, and any mess is cleaned up easily.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
As I said before, TAKE THE RABBIT BACK. I cannot stress this enough. It is irresponsible and in many states ILLEGAL to sell rabbits under the age of 8 weeks. If he was sold at 5.5 weeks, he was probably weaned at 3 or 4 which is WAY to young to be stripped from the mother. If he isn't returned immediately, he won't survive.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with this breeder, but the first clue should have been how unwilling they are the help you.

I beg to differ on the fact that if this bunny is 5.5 weeks old it CAN survive without its mother. This bun was probably weaned at 4 weeks old. I have had my Sweetie since she was 6 weeks old and she is one healthy bunny.

Oh and to get the young bunny to drink out of the water bottle, simulate that you are drinking from the water bottle without actually doing it. Point to the water bottle and tell the little bunny "you drink like this"! You may have to do this several times but once you see the bunny drink from the water bottle praise the bunny. Eventually the bunny will catch on and be drinking from the water bottle.

JadeIcing wrote:
It is possible. The bun going back I think would be a bad thing. It is possible for a baby to survive it just means more effort. There is alot of things mentioned that you can try.

FYI I have a bun who is alittle over three I didn't know at the time but he was about 5wks old. He made and is thriving so have alittle faith.

Also if you only had the bun a few days he may just be off pellets. Nerves will do that to a bunny. Counting the pellets and heavy crock would be good. One thing to do is measure the water so you can check exactly how much he is drinking.
I definitely agree with this! Plus I think that if the rabbit is returned then the mother will not recognize it as its kit and start hurting it.

xbr0k3nx wrote:
this is a message to everyone who read my post wrong

Sammie is drinking water, just not out of his water bottle. He's drinking water out of a dish. and Sammie is eating, but he's only eating hay and vegetables, and not eating pellets.

i don't mean to sound rude, because i'm not, it's just everyone is thinking that he's not drinkingor eating when he is, he's just not eating pellets, or drinking out of a water bottle. I'd rather him drink out of his water bottle because he spills even a heavy dish of water.
I would leave a heavy ceramic bowl of pellets in his cage. He will definitely eat when he is hungry enough. Please refer to my post about getting him to drink from the waqter bottle. It might help. I had to do this with Casper, the mini lop I had; and it worked with him.

so i have some good news, he's actually drinking out of his water bottle a lot. which i praised him for :) now, i just gotta wait to see if he'll eat his pellets :(

xbr0k3nx wrote:
he eliminates waste normally. and he loves his hay and veggies. I don't understand why people say baby rabbits can't handle eating vegetables, because wild rabbits only have greens to feed on, and if they find a nearby garden, i'm sure they'd be eating whatever veggies were in the garden. Veggies can't be that bad for rabbits. My neighbour had a baby rabbit and was feeding it veggies, and it turned out to be fine. She lives to be about 12 years old.

That's because wild rabbit's mom's eat greens during the pregnancy, so the babies are used to it. But not all domestic rabbits get greens during their pregnancy, which is why babies shouldn't be introduced to them until the age of 6 months, because they can get diarrhea and it can kill them.

Emily

well, if you haven't read my FIRST post, i said i'm new to rabbits, so before i went and go my rabbit, i bought food, expensive food that i can't afford constantly, since i'm 20 years old, in college and don't work. so, i'd appreciate you not being a snob. if you ain't got nothing nice to say, that just simply don't say nothing at all. obviously i'd be upset if i just wasted money on food that he won't eat, but that doesn't mean i won't love my rabbit any less, or be upset with him, jeez.

xbr0k3nx wrote:
well, if you haven't read my FIRST post, i said i'm new to rabbits, so before i went and go my rabbit, i bought food, expensive food that i can't afford constantly, since i'm 20 years old, in college and don't work. so, i'd appreciate you not being a snob. if you ain't got nothing nice to say, that just simply don't say nothing at all. obviously i'd be upset if i just wasted money on food that he won't eat, but that doesn't mean i won't love my rabbit any less, or be upset with him, jeez.

I read your first post, and I'm not the one being a snob ;) What I said wasn't rude. You're the one who isn't being very nice.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
xbr0k3nx wrote:
it's very upsetting because that's good pellets wasted.

I find that a little...well, harsh. To me, it seems you're more upset that he's wasting the pellets, then he's not eating them.

Emily
well, that right there, to me, is very unpleasent. i never asked for your opinion on whether or not you think it's harsh or not, i'm simply asking for help.

xbr0k3nx wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
xbr0k3nx wrote:
it's very upsetting because that's good pellets wasted.

I find that a little...well, harsh. To me, it seems you're more upset that he's wasting the pellets, then he's not eating them.

Emily
well, that right there, to me, is very unpleasent. i never asked for your opinion on whether or not you think it's harsh or not, i'm simply asking for help.

It doesn't matter whether you asked for my opinion on that or not; that's just how it came across to me. Just my $.2 worth... It's MY opinion.

Emily

:surrender

Separate corners. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Words don't always come off right when you can't hear them being spoken.

Keep the thread to what it should be about. How to get the bunny eating pellets.

What kind of food did you buy your rabbit to eat? Most rabbits like Timothy pellets and Timothy hay. I feed my rabbits, Sweetie and Prince, Sunaturals and Timothy hay, they also get veggies and fruit.

How big is your rabbit? Maybe a 3lb to 10lb bag of food will last him a month. They are cheap. The food I get is only $10 at Petsmart. It might be more where you live.

Another thing to try is ask the pet store clerk what would be good for your rabbit to eat, and can fit your budget each month. I did this and I am able to afford the rabbit food that I get for my rabbits each month.

One time I didn't have the money to get more food for my rabbits, luckily my brother gave me some rabbit food so that they would not go hungry. Maybe you have someone like that, that could help you out with rabbit food. I don't know your situation very well but I am also in college and I don't work.

I would try different brands, and stick with the brand that he likes and will eat. Need anymore help my PM box is always open. I would be glad to help if I can.

xbr0k3nx wrote:
so i have some good news, he's actually drinking out of his water bottle a lot. which i praised him for :) now, i just gotta wait to see if he'll eat his pellets :(
This is very good news! Very happy to hear that he is drinking from the water bottle.

How about putting a barrier around the cage sdo that even if he does make a mess it's ok and easy to clean. Something like coroplast can do a great job both as a floor and as a barrier. Surely it's better for him to eat his pellets and make a mess, than not eat his pellets?

You do sound frustrated with him. Just remember he is being a bunny and doing his best, as the owner its up to us to work out and iron out these problems as they arise by doing the best we can. That's all anyone can do. Please don't feel a need to bite my head off for saying that, just remember that everyone who has responded to this thread has tried to help. That's all we want, to help you help your bun.

Back