baby bunny won't eat pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbr0k3nx

Reaction score
Hello,
I am very new to bunnies.
I just bought a 5 week old, 1/2 dwarf 1/2 english spot bunny on Tuesday.
I can't get ahold of the breeder i bought him from, to ask her what she fed him.

Sammie has access to hay 24/7, as he eats it constantly, which is good, and he drinks water all the time as well.
But for some reason, he won't touch his pellets at all.

My mother bought two large bags of rabbit food, one is called Hagen Original Blend Rabbit Pellets - Suitable for Dwarf Rabbits, and the other is called Living World Classic for Rabbits. I would really hate to see both of these new bags of food to go to waste.
Anyone have an ideas on how to get my little guy to start eating pellets?

And how do i get my bunny to start drinking water out of his water bottle, instead of the water dish, that he keeps spilling constantly?

Please, all your help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

First, unlimited hay is good--you may want to use alfalfa as it is much higher in calcium which they need for the first few months for bone growth. Vegetables are also a good thing to give, although, in a small amount depending on size. We have a couple of bunnies that won't eat pellets at all, and, they are doing just fine. The others want to eat nothing but pellets, so they get a measured amount so that they have to eat hay--the older rabbits all get Timothy hay. Keep trying to get a hold of the breeder. In the meantime, check out house rabbit society--I think they may have feeding tips and a list of vegetables that are good for your fur baby.

First of all- 5 weeks old is way too young for a rabbit to be weaned and leave the rabbitry. Here in PA, we actually have a law that states that rabbits and poultry cannot be sold under the age of 8 weeks.

Secondly- most reputable breeders will give you a bag of the pellets they use. Rabbits cannot just be suddenly switched. A sudden change in diet can cause diarreah, anorexia, and even death.

If at all possible, please get ahold of this person. At the very least, I'd ask for a bag of feed to switch him over. It's not that he WON'T eat it, it's that he's not used to it yet.

But honestly, I would take him back. He's too young to even be weaned at this point (minimum age is about 6 weeks), let alone off and on his own with no food.

UGH! Sorry...this situation is so frustrating and all too common. It's not YOUR fault, I just wish this breeder were a little more aware and responsible.

Until you can get ahold of her, feed him unlimited grass hay and some rolled oats (regular, uncooked, "Old Fashioned" oatmeal...not the quick oats). This will hopefully encourage him to eat. You can also offer him yogurt. I'd get the regular, full fat, brand name yogurt. Off-brands have aspartamine in them, and you don't want that. But anyway, the brand name yogurts have live, active cultures in them that work with the bunny's stomach. Yogurt is good to keep them hydrated and is also a good sugar boost. He will hopefully start eating pellets soon.

Also, do offer him both a heavy crock of water (so he can't spill it) and a bottle. He may be used to a bottle anyway and drink from that instead.

okay well i finally got ahold of the breeder, and she said that she was feeding Sammie hay and pellets, which i find very odd, because i'm feeding him hay and pellets too, but Sammie won't even touch his pellets, only the hay. i don't know what to do. Should i still keep the pellets in his cage? Do you think he'll eventually start eating them?

Try to get the same pellets that the breeder was feeding him. They are probably available at a store like Tractor Supply if the breeder won't give you some. It's not good to switch bunnies from one pellet to another quickly, especially when they're so young. To be honest, the Living World Pellet is Wal-Mart brand and is terrible. You'd be better off with a large bag of alfalfa pellets (what the breeder was feeding him) in terms of nutrition and $. A lot of the bulk rabbit food sold to breeders is actually pretty good quality, definitely better than Living World.

well, aparently she was feeding him the same pellets i'm feeding him, which is kind of hard to believe. i'm starting to believing that she didn't even introduce any pellets to him, because he doesn't even acknowledge the fact that the pellets are in his food dish. this is so upsetting :( and he won't even drink water out of his water bottle. :(

I am going to move this to the rabbitry section of the forum so that you can get more help

I think the ideal would be if the breeder allowed the bun to go back to the mother for several more weeks.
I don't know if that is possible or if the bun could go with another nursing female
if this is not possible i am hoping that the members in the breeding part of the forum can help you possibly feed this rabbit yourself with a formula

As I said before, TAKE THE RABBIT BACK. I cannot stress this enough. It is irresponsible and in many states ILLEGAL to sell rabbits under the age of 8 weeks. If he was sold at 5.5 weeks, he was probably weaned at 3 or 4 which is WAY to young to be stripped from the mother. If he isn't returned immediately, he won't survive.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with this breeder, but the first clue should have been how unwilling they are the help you.

Give him a heavier bowl for his water I would keep the bottle there too as extra for him. Really he should not have been taken away from his mum but in reality he isnt going to go back with her now :(
Hay is the main staple for them please remember if you have just got him and he is adjusting to a new enviroment as well as new food etc then he is going to be stressed. The main thing is to keep an eye on his pee and poo output!! If you have bothe of those its a good sign.
FOr your easiness why dont you say count out 20 pellets and then keep an eye it can be hard for you to see what they eat if there is a lot in the bowl also he may eat more at night as that is what buns do.
Keep us updated :D and congrats on your new addition even with all the stress he is giving you

I would try adding some Quaker Oats (Non instant) to his pellets in hopes of attracting his interest. Oats are gentle on a young bun's stomach and taste good too. They can be a bit fattening, but for a young bunny it can't hurt.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
As I said before, TAKE THE RABBIT BACK. I cannot stress this enough. It is irresponsible and in many states ILLEGAL to sell rabbits under the age of 8 weeks. If he was sold at 5.5 weeks, he was probably weaned at 3 or 4 which is WAY to young to be stripped from the mother. If he isn't returned immediately, he won't survive.
You can't know this for sure.

Yes, the rabbit shouldn't have been sold at this age but we are edging onto territory where our advise isn't welcome.

xbr0K3nx has the rabbit now and what's done is done. The kit has been separated from its mother long enough that her milk may have already dried up. Moving the kit again could just mean more stress for it.

Personally, I'd give that baby as much hay as it will eat and keep providing the pellets with oats. Hopefully it will get the idea soon.

clevername wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
You can't know this for sure.

Yes, the rabbit shouldn't have been sold at this age but we are edging onto territory where our advise isn't welcome.

xbr0K3nx has the rabbit now and what's done is done. The kit has been separated from its mother long enough that her milk may have already dried up. Moving the kit again could just mean more stress for it.

Personally, I'd give that baby as much hay as it will eat and keep providing the pellets with oats. Hopefully it will get the idea soon.
I can know this for sure. There is a reason for laws, morals, etc., against selling animals so young.Him going off of his pellets and water very obviously proves that he was not properly weaned, let alone the fact that he's too young. If he is not eating and drinking, I cannot imagine any positive outcome.

It is possible. The bun going back I think would be a bad thing. It is possible for a baby to survive it just means more effort. There is alot of things mentioned that you can try.

FYI I have a bun who is alittle over three I didn't know at the time but he was about 5wks old. He made and is thriving so have alittle faith.

Also if you only had the bun a few days he may just be off pellets. Nerves will do that to a bunny. Counting the pellets and heavy crock would be good. One thing to do is measure the water so you can check exactly how much he is drinking.

I wasn't trying to say that a rabbit of that age can't survive. Rabbits who go off pellets fade extremely fast. Taking it back to the breeder would have put it back in its comfortable environment, on the same food, around the same smells, etc. That's very important to babies and I can assure you he'd be back on pellets in no time. Then he could be picked up in a few weeks.

I do not know whether or not the bunny should go back with its' mom, so I won't talk to that issue.

If he continues to not eat or drink, syringe some water into his mouth, and also make a slurry out of pellets soaked in water (soak at least 10 min in a LOT of water) so that he has something in his system. The stress of going to a new house may be difficult on him, which is making him not eat. He also may not have been weaned properly as he doesn't seem to know to eat pellets. It's important that he has food and water since rabbits must constantly be pushing food through their systems. If it has been more than 12 hours since he's eaten or drank, it is time to syringe feed.

Offering a heavy crock with water in addition to a bottle, lots of good smelling hay, and a measured amount of pellets is also a good idea. I think though, at this point, it's imperative that he gets something in his system to keep him going. Having that bit of food or water may perk him up enough to start eating pellets and drinking on his own.

Are you on chlorinated water or well water? He may not be used to the chlorine if you on city water. Try giving him bottled water in a crock.

Keep giving him the oats and the hay.

I would go to the petstore and get some Benebac versus the yoghurt.

Roger

this is a message to everyone who read my post wrong

Sammie is drinking water, just not out of his water bottle. He's drinking water out of a dish. and Sammie is eating, but he's only eating hay and vegetables, and not eating pellets.

i don't mean to sound rude, because i'm not, it's just everyone is thinking that he's not drinkingor eating when he is, he's just not eating pellets, or drinking out of a water bottle. I'd rather him drink out of his water bottle because he spills even a heavy dish of water.

I have some bunnies that will only drink out of certain water bottles. Also some spouts aren't that good. You could try big crocks for birds that attach to the side of the cage. That way he drinks but can't spill.

The pellets as I said new enviroment he could go a few days not touching them.

Have you tried the oatmeal? I would lay off the vegetables as the baby is too young for vegetables unless he grew up with them. Let him eat all the hay he wants....just buy a better quality hay...like alfalfa. Rabbits do not need pellets to survive. Pellets are a supplement.

Keep an eye on his weight. If he is gaining weight, good, but if he is losing weight, you will need to try something else.

Sharon

Back