Baby Bunny Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomapfel

Reaction score
I just wanted suggestions on what kind I should buy. She has a mixed pellet/vegetable food so far (Fiesta I think), as well as hay, but I know that she should be eating a bunny pellet.

I was also wondering what hay I should feed her, or if I can just feed her the Timothy Hay from PetSmart?

As far as treats go, any suggestions either?

phantomapfel wrote:
I just wanted suggestions on what kind I should buy. She has a mixed pellet/vegetable food so far (Fiesta I think), as well as hay, but I know that she should be eating a bunny pellet.

I was also wondering what hay I should feed her, or if I can just feed her the Timothy Hay from PetSmart?

As far as treats go, any suggestions either?

For hay, many buns love the Timothy. A couple of ours are allergic to it (sneezy!) so we get the mixed orchard grass, and they really seem to like it.

For treats, at our house banana chips RULE!

I said this on the other thread, but wanted to put it here to share with all.
Oxbow's baby pellet is called 15/23 and it's quite good.
There are several feed store alfalfa pellets that are good but you can usually only buy them in huge bags, occasionally by the pound. At the shelter we feed all rabbits Purina Hi-Fiber Lab diet, which is a high-fiber alfalfa pellet (they can't afford to feed all their buns a timothy pellet). Pickier bunnies get Purina Rabbit Chow in the green bag.

Sorry, just seeing this! Please switch her off of the Fiesta and on to a pellet-only food. It's very unhealthy for her. Look for something with 16% or less protein and 18% or more fiber and absolutely no treats mixed in. If you're going to a Petsmart, some sell Oxbow and like Tonyshuman said, their alfalfa pellet (15/23) is really good. If I remember right they usually carry Mazuri which is pretty good quality too. I don't like any of Kaytee's alfalfa pellets.

If you can get to feed or farm stores you can usually find great quality foods that are often better than the pet store stuff andmuch cheaper. You just have to buy in bulk, like 40 lbs for $15. If it's too much, donate the excess to a shelter and you'll still save money. I feed Heinhold's 15/20 show formula for my baby bun and I really like it. Other good brandsinclude Pen Pals, Blue Seal, Manna Pro, and Purina (although some people have had quality problems with this brand).

Timothy and other grass hays (bermuda, bluegrass, etc.) are the best. You can feed any of them although timothy is the easiest to find in pet stores. I buy bales from local farmers, usually they're timothy/bluegrass mixes. You can feed some alfalfa since the bun is a baby although I usually just use that as a treat.

As for treats, I say don't feed any till you get the bun weaned off of the Fiesta. All that sugary stuff makes it very easy to cause tummy upsets and diarrhea in baby rabbits. I usually give small treats like dried cranberries, bits of fresh apple or grape,dried rose hips,or rolled oats but I don't give them often.

Also, check out our Feeding FAQ:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16340&forum_id=48

And the Library thread on feeding:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

I went with Oxbow because it was in PetSmart and easy to find, I also got her alfalfa cubes because I couldn't find the baby bunny Oxbow. I've been breaking up the alfalfa cubes and giving her half that/half oxbow. She also got a cool new ball that she really loves!

I'm not a fan of Fiesta.. there's too much "junk" that may be too harsh on a baby's system. And adult rabbits shouldn't be eating anyways.

Oxbow's 15/23 Alfalfa pellets I think are the best way to go. And when the rabbit is about 7 months, be sure to switch them to Timothy pellets =D

Back