Baby bunny help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, so my 7 month old rabbit Butter just had her first litter, she did a fantastic job making a nest and pulling lots of hair, but I’m definitely worried because she had seven kits and not all of them are getting fed so I took it upon myself to feed them and help them pee. So now I’m wondering if I should separate the bunnies from her?? Help me please!! And by the way her pregnancy was unexpected due to the fact we thought we had two sisters and ending up having kits! Could this be a reason why she’s not feeding them? All she’s done is walk in the nest and eat the hay!

Update- I just had to remove the bunnies because I was walking to the other side of my room and she ending up jumping on them and one made the sad noise of pain when she jumped on it, was that the right choice?

Bunnies only feed their kits once everyday. How are the kits stomach are they round and seem to be filled with food?

Or do the kits seem thin and not been eating anything?

If the kits are not eating then it would be okay to take them away. Also accidents happens and bunnies aren’t exactly as flexible as a cat.

It’s quite common first time moms that their kits won’t survive or a lot of them dies. You can try bottle feeding them or flip the doe and hold the kits so they can drink from the mom. Best would finding another mother that can take care a few of the kits.

Bunnies only feed their kits once everyday. How are the kits stomach are they round and seem to be filled with food?

Or do the kits seem thin and not been eating anything?

If the kits are not eating then it would be okay to take them away. Also accidents happens and bunnies aren’t exactly as flexible as a cat.

It’s quite common first time moms that their kits won’t survive or a lot of them dies. You can try bottle feeding them or flip the doe and hold the kits so they can drink from the mom. Best would finding another mother that can take care a few of the kits.
Only some of the kits are eating but I have been twice a day taking each kit and flipping the mama to let them feed, I did take them out for an hour or so but she got angry and started thumping, she’s really trying but isn’t feeding them all. But I only have one mom and it’s her as of right now. I just don’t want her to accidentally injure the babies, but I was thinking it could be that it’s her first litter and it’s such a large one (7) that it will be difficult. She’s trying to feed but not getting all of them fed

Only some of the kits are eating but I have been twice a day taking each kit and flipping the mama to let them feed, I did take them out for an hour or so but she got angry and started thumping, she’s really trying but isn’t feeding them all. But I only have one mom and it’s her as of right now. I just don’t want her to accidentally injure the babies, but I was thinking it could be that it’s her first litter and it’s such a large one (7) that it will be difficult. She’s trying to feed but not getting all of them fed

I wouldn’t recommend taking the kits out from the nest. The worse that can happen it’s that the mom will abound the kits or kill them. Mothers need a calm environment and your are trying your best to feed the kits. You will later see which kits are bigger, they are the ones that get to eat from the mom. So you should focus on the smaller ones that don’t get to her.

But you also need to be prepared that some of the kits might not survive.

First time moms aren’t easy for bunnies, at least she’s taking care of them and trying to be a good mom.

Latest posts

Back