Baby bunny has hard fur above nose. Pictures enclosed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 7 month old Holland Lop buck has always had a bit of a wet nose. I took him to the vet a couple months ago to get him looked at as soon as I noticed it. The vet said it seemed to be some mild allergies, and to keep an eye on him. So far it has come and gone, nothing major. I came home today and saw that the top of the fur above his nose was very hard. I have never seen this before. He also had a bit of eye crust in each eye. This is usually normal for him, but not in both eyes. His sneezing has also seemed to increase lately. I jumped right on the phone and booked him an appointment on Saturday with the vet. He has been eating and drinking normally. His diet currently consists of timothy hay and timothy hay pellets. He also has alfalfa and timothy hay cubes, his salt lick that he loves, hay balls, and a alfalfa tube for play along with some cardboard toys.

I'm very worried right now and am praying it is nothing serious. If anyone can help me or give me some advice on what this could possibly be, I'd be forever grateful! This is my baby boy and I can't imagine anything happening to him. Thank you so much!

9sv11y.jpg

10hlpbs.jpg

hmmmm....
My lionhead girl has always been prone to a runny nose and eyes. She is all white and sometimes her nose is yellow. But I have never seen the fur go hard or crusty before. You would think that if it were going to happen to a bunny it would be my ball of fluff. It actually kind of looks like your bunny has a bald spot on his nose. Maybe he is over grooming and and spreading the gunk from his nose all over. Bald spots can be a sign of over grooming and if you cross that with the fact that something wet is matting the hair then I would guess that he is just an over eager face washer. I would try to clean the area with a soft warm cloth and then watch for excessive washing. If his nose is itchy then that would explain his need to rub it with his paws.

Thank you so much! He is a very good groomer and he loves to wash his face. I haven't noticed any itching of the nose but if it is from allergies it would make sense. After I cleaned it I didn't notice any bald spot so I think it could possibly be mucus that made it hard perhaps. I was going to request a culture on Saturday when we go to the vet. Last time the vet didn't see a need for any antibiotic but I think this time around it would be best to get his nose tested. Thank you, again!

I agree. I'd definitely check into a culture. Also, it seems like the crusty top of his nose could be related to him smearing nose-ick around his face.

Latest posts

Back