Baby bunny gone....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dia

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the place to post this but I lost one of my 7 month old babies that I kept from a litter of babies my Mini Lops had. He showed no signs of being unhealthy and there were no changes in his diet. I found him when i came home from work with just a poopy bottom, but no other signs of irregular poop in the cage.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

I am so sorry.

It's obviously hard to determine after death what went wrong, unless he had a necropsy done on him.

Remember that rabbits are very good at hiding any illnesses they may have, so losing bunnies suddenly can happen to anyone. It's incredibly sad and also very confusing.

How are all the others acting? Eating? Drinking? Pooing? Weeing? Given we don't know the cause you will have to keep an extra close eye on all your rabbits.

Binky Free little bunny

Flashy wrote:
I am so sorry.

It's obviously hard to determine after death what went wrong, unless he had a necropsy done on him.

Remember that rabbits are very good at hiding any illnesses they may have, so losing bunnies suddenly can happen to anyone. It's incredibly sad and also very confusing.

How are all the others acting? Eating? Drinking? Pooing? Weeing? Given we don't know the cause you will have to keep an extra close eye on all your rabbits.

Binky Free little bunny
There were 4 others in that litter. 3 I found homes for and the other was in the cage with the one that died. He is here at work with me and drinking and the poop is normal. I was scared to leave him alone because they were attached. This is why i kept them together.

I know rabbits are good at hiding illness....i guess i just feel it's my fault in some way because I didn't see it coming. I know its nothing to do with food or water because I have 7 rabbits all together....and it was not heat, they have their own AC and i keep the room VERY comfortable for them.....all day and night.

I'm glad his bond friend is doing ok. My concern is this is something contagious, so it's really important to keep and eye on ALL your buns. Some illnesses can hit hard and fast, or have few symptoms until it's severe.

However, it is possible this is an isolated problem, or that he had a birth defect that finally caught up with him, or almost anything really.

Try just to focus on those you have, and to grieve this little guy. Analysing it won't make things better unfortunately because it is such an unknown and may just prolong the pain you feel.

Flashy wrote:
I'm glad his bond friend is doing ok. My concern is this is something contagious, so it's really important to keep and eye on ALL your buns. Some illnesses can hit hard and fast, or have few symptoms until it's severe.

However, it is possible this is an isolated problem, or that he had a birth defect that finally caught up with him, or almost anything really.

Try just to focus on those you have, and to grieve this little guy. Analysing it won't make things better unfortunately because it is such an unknown and may just prolong the pain you feel.
I like cleaned everything last night, especially the cage where the one died. The other 7 seem fine and poop is all normal, everyone is eating hay and their pellets. so i hope its not anything major....

Thank you for your advice! :)

Tracy's right. At that age, his physiology would be like any young adult rabbit--he'd gone past the critical times around weaning and establishing the proper gut flora that can be devastating to babies. It's really hard to tell what happened at this time. It might be worthwhile to get the feces of the bun that lived with him checked for parasites, just to be sure he'll be ok. The suddenness is strange and makes it harder to determine what happened. I'm so sorry.

Latest posts

Back