Baby bunny doesn't look so good.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
The load of bunnies I got in yesterday all look great except for one of the young ones. The owners brought them to me in the open back of a pickup truck, no shade whatsoever, on about an hour to an hour and half's drive. On an 85 degree day. They were all quite hot when I got them, but after spending about 15-20 minutes in my van with the ac blasting and then being put in my shady barn with a nice breeze blowing, they cooled off and all except this one look fine now.

This babe is not totally lethargic, but just kinda droopy. It is still interested in food and comes running to eat with the others, but when it's not eating it just kinda goes in one corner and sits with it's eyes half shut. I hesitate to make it go through a vet trip if the problem is stress, I would think that would make it worse. Is this just stress/adjusting to a new place, or should I take the risk of a vet trip?

I'd start by syringe feeding him some Pedialyte and see if that perks him up. Maybe he's dehydrated? Otherwise I'm not quite sure if home treatment or vet treatment would be better due to the stress.

I can't believe they had the rabbits in the open back of a truck!:grumpy:

I am going to try some Peidlayte this evening is it isn't any better. I have to go get some more, though, the stuff I have expired in March.

Is there anything else different about the droopy one..is he smaller or thinner?

I also cannot imagine any of them in the back of an open pick-up :shock:

It isa little smaller than the others, but not drastically so. I really need to check it and see if it's a buck or a doe, makes me feel silly to call the poor thing "it".

If you have a chance, hold baby bunny close while you are settled down nicely. I find it works a treat when you are trying to kind of feel your way around a potential health problem. Baby bunnies love attention, bun gets to keep warm but not too warm, gets to de-stress and at the same time after bun is nice and relaxed, have your syringe handy to slip in some much needed water. Sometimes just a bit of tlc in the form of love and closeness may just do the trick if you just can't figure it out or get to a vet at once.:D

Well, baby is perkier this morning. A nice cool night along with the fact he/she is settling in seems to have helped. Still eating well and everything, so I will keep a close eye out and see how it does.

They are all doing fine-and eating their little heads off, LOL! It's been so long since I had a litter, I forgot how much a group of growing babies can eat. :D

Latest posts

Back