Baby Bunny 7-8 weeks in pain? Won't eat much. Possible gas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from my local vet (did not take puffin to the other after being given that rx that is harmful to bunnies). Vet said the dark poop is not good so as soon as I see a fresh poop I am to take it over straight away for a stool sample. She said take all food away and give only timothy hay to her for 24 hrs unless she isn't eating at all (in that case give her back alfalfa and pellets) and I am to give her this rx: Metronidazole suspension 100mg/ml...She has me giving her 0.1 ml once a day. Does that sound like a proper amount for a bunny that is under 1/2 lb...I think she weighs .36 lbs (not sure if I am typing that properly).... How long should she be given this medicine? Vet did not want me to have her on it very long...she gave me a very small amount.

XOXO

Honestly at this point you just need to figure out what you trust . If my bunny were veery ill and a vet itrusted completely told me to give gut motility drugs, if the bunny were very well hydrated, i'd do it. If that's not how you feel, hydration and force feeding pellet slurry,along with the probioti, gas meds, and pain meds, is what I would do. I have a bunny right now who's been eating/only a little, and that's what I'm doing.

I think Metronidazole is the antibiotic Randy said is often used for treating clostridium (which is what vet #2 gave me today)...it isn't the gut Medicine I think you are referring to Claire. Is I guess my question to Randy is how long does he usually give a bunny Metronidazole for and does the dosage sound about right for my bunny being 7 weeks and undr 1/2 lb.... :)
thanks!!

look up metronidazole (Flagyl) and put inher wt making sure that you have it in lbs.
this will give you estimated dosage range.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

Usually an adult rabbit could be on metronidazole for a lenghty period of time, However, because aof the very young age of your rabbitI am quite sure that she (vet)is concerned about using any antibiotic on such a fragile GI system for any length of time.
you can go ahead and give the benebac but not at the same time that you give the metronidazole.
I would still try to get the biosponge anyway just in case
you can order it in smaller amounts on-line but right now that may not be helpful.

http://www.entirelypets.com/platbio15cc.html
How does she look now ; is she eating? ..do her poops look any better?

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I did order 1 tube of the Bio Sponge and it will be here some time tomorrow :) I can't afford 2 syringes of it but am going to order some when I can to have on hand :)

After I gave her the metronidazole she pooped about 10 min later and was eating more and seemed to be a bit more active...now this could be consindence or it could be that the stuff really helped that quick! Either way I am seeing improvment (slowly) and I think the bio sponge will make her even better. Also, after the med her poops were more normal. They were still dark but not like the texture of tar. For the most part they were solid and only 1 tary feeling one.

XOXO

angieluv wrote:
look up metronidazole (Flagyl) and put inher wt making sure that you have it in lbs.
this will give you estimated dosage range.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

Usually an adult rabbit could be on metronidazole for a lenghty period of time, However, because aof the very young age of your rabbitI am quite sure that she (vet)is concerned about using any antibiotic on such a fragile GI system for any length of time.
you can go ahead and give the benebac but not at the same time that you give the metronidazole.
I would still try to get the biosponge anyway just in case
you can order it in smaller amounts on-line but right now that may not be helpful.

http://www.entirelypets.com/platbio15cc.html
How does she look now ; is she eating? ..do her poops look any better?

So glad to hear she's improving. I hope after a few more doses of flagyl and biosponge shell be back to normal. Make sure to give the biosponge t a different time than the rugs because it will inactivate them, I would think.

Back