Baby Bunnies Thread in Rabbitry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X posting with orig post:

I am no bunny expert BUT I do work with a small rescue where we get babies in that are days old that are taken from mamma and then solds as pocket pets :( Anyways, the lady who runs the rescue has me feed the babies 2 times a day with a syringe (I think it is a 3 CC syringe with no needle) and we mix KMR http://www.bizrate.com/cat-supplies/kmr-kitten-milk-replacement/ powdered form and we mix it with one scoop milk powder to 2 scoops warm water. The milk should be warm to touch but not hot. We give them as much as they will take 2 times a day. If I remember correctly she likes to give them about 12 CC's or so each feeding (but I could be wrong on this amount). We also use a warm heating disc to keep them warm. A SnuggleSafe is what we use and put it on one side of the cage where the babies are. Just make sure they can get off of it if need be.
As for feeding, often times they do not want to eat at frist bc they do not like the syringe but if you position it correctly they usually take. I try to put it towards the side of the mouth and insert there first if they won't take it when I put it up to them from the front of the mouth. Also, I do not know how big they are but the way we hold them while feeding is where there back is against my belley and my hand (palm area) supports their tummy. I position their front paws in between my finger. They really like feeling secure so I am always seated when feeding them. I will get a camera and take a pic for you. Hang tight.

PS we also give them aliquid Acidophilus one CC each per day. Sometimes we will mix in with the milk cecals from a healthy bun to help them...Again I am no vet so please do not only take my word for this ;)

Latest posts

Back