Baby bunners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaelbee

Reaction score
I haven't searched the forum yet, just kinda googled around and figured I'd post a new topic to ask a few questions...

Our bunner just had babies (we were SHOCKED. we didn't know she was pregnant and we had just about figured she wasn't going to get pregnant because she's been with the boy for months on end and nothing happened). One of my first questions: she only had 3... is this normal?

my second question: of the 3, two of them look COMPLETELY healthy and are starting to get fur and they have little plump bellies and all that jazz... the third one is TINY. the 2 healthy ones are about 3 inches long, where the third one is maybe half that size. his belly is not plump at all and developmentally he's not as far along as the others.

i know if we leave him in there he won't make it. it looks like he's not eating or anything. can i take him out and bottle feed him and hope for the best or is this a total loss and should we just let him go?

annnnddddd last question: if we can bottle feed him, i read online that regular KMR (kitten milk replacer) will work just fine for him... is this true or is there something better?

... you were shocked? really? leaving an un neutered male an female together and you were honestly shocked? hmm.

anyway,

don't leave him to die or bottle feed him. simply take the mother out of the cage and lay her on a towel and put the runt under her belly and attatch him to her nipple to feed. do this 2 or 3 times a day untill he's a few weeks old. we had the same thing happen to us

What breed are your bunnies?

The baby looks like a peanut if they are dwarf bunnies, though they usually don't live past 3 days. It is very normal for smaller rabbits to have fewer babies. Supplemental feedings are probably the best thing you can do for him. If you can't get the doe to stay still and feed the baby, you can flip her over on her back and hold her on your lap, and let him nurse that way.

Could you take a side-by-side shot of the smaller baby, and the normal sized ones?

She probably didn't get pregnant at first because she might've been too young, or the male might have been to young. I hope they are now seperated, and were seperated as soon as she had the babies? If not, she's probably pregnant again. ;)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Could you take a side-by-side shot of the smaller baby, and the normal sized ones?

She probably didn't get pregnant at first because she might've been too young, or the male might have been to young. I hope they are now seperated, and were seperated as soon as she had the babies? If not, she's probably pregnant again. ;)

Emily

Please stop worrying about the fact that she might be pregnant again... we have plenty of people to adopt babies... I would just like my general questions answered. She is considerably bigger than the dwarf, but he's still pretty young and I'm wondering if that contributed to this... We were also wondering if he's just smaller because he got the dwarf traits. I don't have a picture of them side by side but the two normal ones fill up the palm of my hand and the smaller one is about half the size. He's not hopping around yet and the other two are starting to do so... We tried to put the mom on her back and have him nurse that way.. He would dig around, find a nipple, suckle once, and go to sleep. The other thing we were thinking it could be is a premie from another litter.

khaelbee wrote:
Please stop worrying about the fact that she might be pregnant again... we have plenty of people to adopt babies... I would just like my general questions answered. She is considerably bigger than the dwarf, but he's still pretty young and I'm wondering if that contributed to this... We were also wondering if he's just smaller because he got the dwarf traits. I don't have a picture of them side by side but the two normal ones fill up the palm of my hand and the smaller one is about half the size. He's not hopping around yet and the other two are starting to do so... We tried to put the mom on her back and have him nurse that way.. He would dig around, find a nipple, suckle once, and go to sleep. The other thing we were thinking it could be is a premie from another litter.

I think the part abut separating them was just helpful advice, but I do understand your position, and I would like to apologize for the judgmental comment made before. We are generally discouraged by our mods and by forum policy to make comments like that.

Do you know how much she weighs and how much the dwarf weighs?

I'm not sure if getting dwarf characteristics or the buck being young would cause this kind of problem.

As for him bring a premie, that is not very likely either. It is extremely rare for a rabbit to be able to carry two litters of different ages at the same time.

Also, if he isn't nursing actively when you put him onto his mother, there may not be much hope for him. I am not sure if you could get him to bottle feed if he is not acting hungry and trying to nurse by himself.

I think bottle feeding will be our last hurrah at some point this weekend if his condition doesn't improve. I was ready for the fact that not all of the bunnies were going to make it... I'll be sad if this little guy doesn't make it but I know its life (I know it sounds terrible, but it does happen)

Sammy, the doe is about the size of a loaf of bread when she's laying down with her feet kicked out behind her (like she commonly does). Max is probably 2 pounds... he's not a very big guy.

I understand, I have lost many babies and it is always sad, but there isn't much we can do.

Maybe try to feed him on his mom again in a few hours to see if he is more hungry then.

Best of luck with your baby.

If he doesn't have a full belly this morning when we go check were going to try kmr from bottle... If that doesn't work I think well just let hi go peacefully in the warmth of his siblings. Poor guy I feel so bad for him

We have a semi verdict and it's good news! He drank some milk! It wasnt much but we put a teeny bitty drop on his face and he sucked it into his mouth and swallowed it... So we kept going until he stopped swallowing. Once he was done he flipped himself over onto his belly and started squirming around A's if he already felt better. I have a picture of him right next to one of the other babies but it's on my iPhone... Not sure how to stick it on here from my phone

He might be a peanut/ runt. Im sorry. You can hold momma and let him get extra feeding. I had to do this with my runt baby. He was much smaller then hes other siblings.

I just lost my 2 sable point babies and they were less then 2 weeks old.

We tried holding him to her belly (she was on her back and we put him on her belly) an he found a nipple but he wouldn't eat. His belly still looked empty this morning but he ate a good amount of kmr. It wasn't much but for his weight it was quite a bit... We will see what happebs

179816_10150400294425529_875325528_17042553_4709679_n.jpg

I just found the instructions online for how to do it... Here's hoping it works.

khaelbee wrote:

i'm sorry if i offended hun, it's just there are so many bunnies that need homes as it is so most of the breeders and bunny owners on here will only encourage intentional breedings to produce pedigree purebred rabbits over just breeding for the sake of it.

If you want more buns, perhaps buy from a reputable breeder so you can be sure your bun is in tip top health with no birth defects or underlying issues, or rescue some buns from your local rabbit rescue or humane society, because i know there are hundreds out there in desperate need of loving homes.

Latest posts

Back