Baby bun with soft stool 4th day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinibunny

Reaction score
So my baby bun has been having soft stool lately i was giving her some dandylions and a bit of parsley i stopped giving them it a couple days ago Oreo my dutch mix is fine but my lionhead girl has been having soft stool all the time. Is there something i should do im worried because they are so young? Im used to older buns this is my first time having baby buns. Also what is the appropriate age for veggies for buns?

BTW they are 9 weeks old.

Thanks!

People really have different opinions on the age to give fresh greens to bunnies. In a way - I think it depends on what the breeder feeds— some breeders introduce small amounts of green grass and let them eat along side their mothers as early as 4 weeks. Some breeders don't introduce greens until after 8 weeks. Some say not to feed greens until after 12 weeks.....

So all I can say is, whenever you give greens to a baby rabbit you do it really gradually, and only small amounts of anything new.

My advice for what to do now would be for the next 24 hours, only give a small amount of pellets—like 8 pellets—(because many believe if there is an imbalance of bacteria in the gut the protein in the pellets feeds the bad bacteria so you cut back on them) and give lots of fresh hay and water for 1 day - if it doesn't seem better the next day it might be bacterial and you should go to the vets and have them do a stool sample.

Also, Bene-bac probiotics to build up the good bacteria, its very safe and you can buy it at the pet store. So Bene-bac would be really good.

You don't necessarily need to remove or reduce pellets if you believe the soft poop is due to the greens/veggies, and it's not a very bad. Just stop feeding the veg and see how your bun does after a few days. If your bun is still having mushy poop after that, you may need to make some diet adjustments depending on what you are currently feeding your buns. If you are feeding alfalfa hay, that could have something to do with it, but commonly mushy poop develops because of too many starchy sugary treats or too many pellets. If it is the fecal poop that is coming out mushy or the mushy poop is really severe or your buns condition worsens, then seeing a vet is definitely needed, but often a bit of mushy poop is just due to an imbalance in the rabbits diet.
http://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/

Usually for buns that didn't have veg growing up with their mom, it is best to wait until they are at least 12 weeks old before very gradually starting to introduce them. Some people will wait til their buns are even older than that.
http://www.lagomorphs.com/salad.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back