Baby bun passed away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werecatrising

Reaction score
This past Sunday I picked up 3

., 8 week old flemish/velveteen lop mixes. The whole situation was a little sketchy. The person claimed they were a rescue litter, bred before the mom was in their possession. Come to find out the mom was a rescue, but accidentally bred at their place. Anyways, they were all doing good Sunday and Monday. They were still getting the food that was sent with them. Yesterday I came home to find one lying in a puddle of diarrhea. There was liquid poop everywhere. I had no idea a bun could have that much in them. I tried to clean her up, but it kept running out. She wasn't eating or drinking. I kept her warm, gave her sub q fluids, and stayed up with her until she passed at 2:20.

I am trying to figure out what happened. When I contacted the breeder she told me to give mint and yogurt(didn't do that). She also told me she needed antibiotics, said don't give amoxicillian, but penicillin was good. (didn't say injectable) Two of them had large bite wounds, so I am wondering if she gave them antibiotics.

I am also feeling guilty. I am a tech and usually rush my animals in for every little thing. I was going to bring her in last night, but figured it was pointless. She was to weak and dehydrated to get an IV catheter in, I was giving sub q flluids at home. If I got blood to go to the lab it wouldn't have gone out until today anyway.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't have any advice, but I would certainly watch the other two.

I don't think you did anything wrong. You made the best call for the bunny, allowing her to pass without the stress of a vet visit that you know she would never have made it to.

As odd as this sounds, I'm glad that she passed while with you, and surrounded by love. You gave her a dignified ending.

I hope the other two are ok and I hope that someone else can offer you some decent advice.

we are so sorry for your loss. At least the little one was with someone that loved her. That's just one of the many problems when you do a rescue--never know the real and true history. With bunnies, sometimes, trouble can come on so suddenly even when it's a bunny you've had for a while. Cheer up, and binky free little girl.

I don't think that she could have been saved.I think that you did the right thing. It is possible that the breeder gave them meds prior to you getting them and did not know what she was doing.

The condition she was in sounds too bad to have reversed.

You could give the other buns a probiotic like benebac and alsoI would call the breeder and try to get info out of her; if you just act interested rather than angry she may tell you what she actually did with them

let us know how the others are doing.

That is too sad. Definitely give Bene-Bac, and some pedialyte to keep them hydrated. If you see runny poo, go to the vet ASAP. Don't give any veggies, just hay, pellets, and water. I hope the other two will just pass the bug through their systems w/o complications. Definitely no yogurt or oral penicillin. I'm glad you can give sub-q fluids--it should help if they seem dehydrated at all. They were not in good hands with the breeder, but it sounds like they are now. I'm sorry that you lost the one.

Thanks everyone.

I emailed the breeder to ask if she had treated them with anything. She said no and basically implied that I fed them something they shouldn't have had. I'm not sure if I believe her. When I first told her one was sick she immediately asked if it was one with a bite wound. Guess it doesn' matter now.

The two others are doing good. I gave them some ben ebac today and am keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know they are in great hands.
I'm glad the remaining two are doing good. :)

Back