Baby Angora Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandLops

Reaction score
Ok so our French litter had their eyes open! Ok my question is for what I thought were REWs, but their eyes are not ruby at all. Do they change our are they really colored and I am just missing it.... On both of them they have dark eyes, and not ruby dark, I am talking DARK :?

As for the other babies, they are growing up so fast. We only have one "little baby" in the bunch but I am making sure he/she gets lots of alone time with mom. I think we have (not a color exp.) 3 Blue Chin., One Choc. Chin. and maybe one Squ.? Then the two funny white babies....

I thought this would help, these are the colors my Doe is from

Parents: Chocolate and Red
GrandParents: Chocolate Tort, Lilac, Red and Tort
GGParents: Red, Chocolate, Lilac, REW, Red, Black, Red and Tort

Lots of Red, odd.....

The buck she was bred too is a Blue Chin. But I will have the rest of his pedigree very soon.

The ones with the brown eyes are most likely frosties (aka ermine, ghost chin). The color is not showable.

Pam

So if I bred one unshowable to say a blue, there is a chance that there would be some unshowable babies, but not the entire litter right?

Oh only one of the babies has dark eyes, the white colored ones that is. I most of checked the same one twice. I don't like messing with them a lot, but I rechecked and only the biggest baby (my favorite) has the dark eyes. The other one has ruby eyes.

Ok new question, how does anyone sell babies?

I have been in contact with a lady wanting to buy a baby for her daughter to use as a wooler. She let me know that they were low on money but wanted to pay for the rabbit. Oh ok I thought I want the baby a good home, would love to keep them all but 7 is a lot...

So I offered her the best colored healthest little buck for about a fouth of what I thought was reasonable and what I payed for momma. The lady then countered with half of that price. My mother is having a fit that I would even consider that, so I let the lady know that I don't think I can do it for that price. So she starts asking if I am an adult, a real rabbit lover or even a humane person. I don't think I want her to have one of my babies...

Oh Update I have 3 bucks and 4 does

Bucks- Choco. Chin, Frostie, Chin.
Does- Mys. Color Runt, 2 Chin, and a REW

I would be concerned that if she can't afford to pay even a reasonable discount, how is she going to afford to care for the rabbit. From what I understated, angoras are purposely priced higher than other breeds to help prevent them from falling into the hands of people who can't care for them properly. You would hope that if someone pays $200 or more for a rabbit, they understand the commitment of the breed and are less likely to just stuff it in a hutch and forget about it.
I also somewhat doubt that the daughter really wants the responsibility of an angora. Most kids aren't into things like spinning and knitting enough to actually raise an angora, groom it daily, harvest the wool, spin it, dye it and hope to have enough for a sweater at the end on a year. Personally, I would not sell to someone wanting the rabbit for their child, especially if she is under 14/15.

When I was looking for another angora after Sean died, I did contact a breeder. She rarely sells rabbits (like 3-4 a year) and requires those interested to attend a 3-4 hour thing on grooming and care for them. It gives people who are interested a good idea of what they are getting into and allows her to meet the people in person and see if they are people she would allow to have one of her rabbits.

If you are not comfortable with her having one of your rabbits, don't let her have one. I don't really consider pets something you negotiate the price of. You might give a small discount for 4-H kids or if the rabbit does not have good wool or is pet quality, but it is your choice the price and if the buyer doesn't like the price, then too bad for them.

Well I honestly thought that the price I first gave her would of been a steal! I would of jumped all over it, but then to counter with something I can't even buy a half bag of food... Its not about the money either, it was that I wanted to make sure they understood angoras are pricey rabbits, not just buying cost, but up keep! You have to do grooming pretty much daily if you want great clean wool and then you have to have special food. I will say her daughter is about 3 years younger then me, I am a baby...., but to me it was bad. Then when I let her know my mother was having a fit because yes my mother knows how much rabbits cost she asked how old I was and if I was even an adult, it didn't help my mood.

Its not about the money, its the thought that she wanted to buy one for less then the cost of a pack of socks. But then again this is the same lady that thought $5-$10 for a full gallon zip lock baggie of Raw wool was way to much.

Side Note: My mother wanted to tell her if she finds any pedigreed angoras for $15 or under she wanted the same deal and would buy all the person had.

Somehow is she is unwilling to spend $20 on an angora, she is also unwilling to buy a decent sized cage, blower, good food and the other things that a rabbit needs. Chances are the rabbit is going to be a neglected, matted mess in a month if she get one.
Good for you for not backing down. $15 is a steal for an angora and I would get all I could to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.

It's probably a good thing I don't live near you. I would probably not want to leave and just sit there with the fluffies.

BYW, how much would a large baggie of wool go for? I am not sure what I am going to do with the wool I will get from Lillian, but as I don't spin or knit it would be good to know so I don't get ripped off. I know it is more based on weight and how good the wool is, so a ball park figure would be nice.

Yeah less then $20 on a rabbit, let alone an angora, is not unreasonable in my opinion. She is out of it. I payed quiet a bit for rabbits that I will never even get babies off of, not that I would want to, but they are my babies and woolers! You can't even get a pet store rabbit around here for less then 19.95.

I have let large baggies go for $15-$20 to local people, people I know, but then I stuff some more in. But for a ball park, I have a lady buying 8 oz of Pure White Raw Wool for $5 an oz. But I have heard of people getting upwards of $8 an oz, but I like repeat customers. I even let her set her price.

I actually talked to a guy today from NC that is going to buy large amounts of wool, haha reason to get more woolers I guess, but I haven't set a price for him at all. But the kicker is he wants every color other then white, even if I have 5 REWs. This will take so much longer then the 8 of white, but he is coming to teach me to dye yarn and going to start me up on weaving!

wow the dyeing of wool is a cool thing I have seen it done. U will love having that knowledge. No glass ceilings for u lol

How much did you tell her she could have the bunny for? And what was she wanting you to sell it to her for?
Angoras are quite expensive rabbits. And I have to agree, if she can't afford what you offered then how will she afford feed, cage, vet care, etc.

And why would asking if you were a real rabbit lover have anything to do with the price? That kind of confuses me...

Emily

I offered her a baby for $30, I did't think that was bad, but she countered with $10 maybe $15 if she can get the money together.

The reasoning I am seeing is she was thinking I would just give her a baby (would never give away a rabbit) if she sounded like a good enough home. She said "you must not love them enough or be a real rabbit person cause you don't want one of the babies to have a good home"

I don't want money really, I am even giving away one of the babies to the lady that bred the bunny for me, but I don't know her from anyone and I would need something to show proof she will care for the baby and not just let it get matted and live in a cage its whole life.

I never take offers for my babies. I decide to make a price and people can take it or leave it, at whatever that price is. Don't make exceptions just to sell a rabbit, the right family will come. :)

I did set a price, I said I will take $30 for the Chin. Buck, and that was it, then she said well I will give you $15 but would prefer just $10. I was floored. But anyway, heading out for my day off. See everyone later

Latest posts

Back