babies out of the box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley411

Reaction score
My lionlop babies started to pop out of the nest box today, they will be two weeks old tomarrow is this early? How old are you guys' babies when they start coming out of the box? Granted my doe lives inside so she has been in all through her pregnancy and since the babies where born. Does this affect their development, all of her litters have come out of the box at this time. Just wondering.

~Hayley~

Hayley, my 2-week old is coming out of the nestbox and sleeping outside of it too! Of course, she has a favorite towel she sleeps on....but she too lives in inside and has since she was a few hours old...so that's a good question about the inside vs. outside probability.

Emily

That is about average. They are exploring. How tall is the nestbox? At this age, it should be low enough that they can jump back in. If not, just keep an eye on them and put them back when they look like they have had enough.

Sharon

Your babies are right on schedule!

Once the babies eyes open, there really isn't any stopping them. They will chase mom around looking for extra milk, and also start nibbling on solid food.

Make sure there are no gaps bigger than 1/2 inch, other wise the babies will escape from the cage.

Enjoy this new stage of development!

--Dawn

All of my Cali babies wandered around from the get go. My inside doe Reveille, we thought just had 11.. so we took them all out because she kept hopping around like a moron. A few hours later we hear a baby squeak from the cage.. she had a 12th one who had wandered off that we missed.

As soon as the eyes are open, they REALLY get brave and start charging off...

Babies wandering...

babycalis004.jpg

babycalis005.jpg

babycalis006.jpg

babycalis008.jpg

Emily-

Yep. they have red eyes.. and thats not even the cute litter..lol..

Here's the one everybody is askin to buy buns from..

babycalis009.jpg

babycalis010.jpg

babycalis014.jpg

babycalis016.jpg

Sorry Hayley.. I think I.. um....:threadhijacked:

GoinBackToCali wrote:
Emily-

Yep. they have red eyes.. and thats not even the cute litter..lol..

Here's the one everybody is askin to buy buns from..

babycalis009.jpg

babycalis010.jpg

babycalis014.jpg

babycalis016.jpg

Sorry Hayley.. I think I.. um....:threadhijacked:

OH MY GAWSH! SO cute! I think I want a huge cali herd now! lol. They are ADORABLE! If I lived in Texas, I would come over to your house everyday to see them and I would get one, lol. They are adorable! :biggrin2:

You better watch it, my mom's relatives live in Texas...and I could easily have links to a free airline ticket round trip....bringing back a whole litter of baby bunnies! *cough*fromGBTC*cough* Lol! :) :biggrin2:

Emily

Okay thanks I was just wondering because I have heard some people say that their babies didn't start coming out until they were three weeks old. Strange. Zin you babies are adorable I had Cali's at one time but never got to see them as babies how cute. I think I want some more Cali's now. LOL.

~Hayley~

Some babies may begin to leave the box as early as 8 days (kits generally start to wander when their eyes open).

In colder weather, I turn the box on its side so the babies can get back in and keep warm.

Pam

The kits in my foster litter were crawling about all over the place before their eyes opened :?I was so scared it could be bad for them. Lol. It was my first litter as well :pThere's just no stopping them... No wonder the Energizer company went with a bunny :p

But um... Where are the pics???

This one here is out trying to find his way to Indiana cause he knows he wants to live with me!:thumbup

babycalis016.jpg

"I turn the box on its side so the babies can get back in and keep warm."

:yeahthat:
My kits usually come out around the 2 week mark as well. My boxes have high sides and bakcs so I put the box on its side so they can get back in.

Latest posts

Back