Babies opened their eyes and are hoping out of the nestbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley411

Reaction score
So pretty much what the title says.

These are my first babies outside and they seem to be developing way faster than any I've had before.

It's also my first litter of dutch, do they tend to develop fast?

Should I be concerned about them already popping out of the box so young?

~Hayley

How old are they?

They will start to hop out once their eyes are open, trust me! lol. Since they can see now, they're curious; so they want to check everything out.

My little guys are beginning to open their eyes, and already they're making their way to the front and not keeping any fur/hay over them. :p They're 9 days old today.

Emily

Hayley411 wrote:
So pretty much what the title says.

These are my first babies outside and they seem to be developing way faster than any I've had before.

It's also my first litter of dutch, do they tend to develop fast?

Should I be concerned about them already popping out of the box so young?

~Hayley

Dutch are very nosy babies. They are the ones that give me the most trouble :) I had a 6 day old one that kept finding a way out of the cage. I fixed him good though, I had to put the nestbox in the center of the cage that had babysaver wire around it! All he could do is jump out of the nestbox and roam the cage.

I would not be too concerned about the babies as long as they can jump back in. If they can't jump in yet, then I would go check on them a few times a day and help them back in the box.

Sharon

That's interesting about dutch babies being little troublemakers..... My cousin/neighbor had 2 does kindle the same day. Dutch and mini-rex. The MR babies are always quiet and snuggled in their nestbox.... the dutch babies are up and snooping around in the nestbox...... unless *someone* happens to go by and pick one up to kiss its tummy..

Well they all had their eyes open by 9 days old, and by 11 days all the babies are venturing out of the box.

Dutch definitely are different than other breeds, even as pinkies they would squeak and jump into the air whenever you put a hand in the box. They would bite you too, thinking you were mom.

Now they are already starting to come up to my hand, they are so unbelievably curious. It scares me a little bit. Yesterday one of the babies even started to climb upthe side of the cage. Crazy little monkeys LOL.

~Hayley

Oh I heard about a dutch that scaled a 7 foot brick wall before! I've heard that breed is the most likely to be climbers!

Dwarf Hotots are a lot like the Dutch. Their eyes open as early as 8 days and they often are venturing out of the box shortly after. The little kits will actually scale up the entire side of the cage!

Pam

Bo B Bunny wrote:
That's interesting about dutch babies being little troublemakers..... My cousin/neighbor had 2 does kindle the same day. Dutch and mini-rex. The MR babies are always quiet and snuggled in their nestbox.... the dutch babies are up and snooping around in the nestbox...... unless *someone* happens to go by and pick one up to kiss its tummy..

I'm so jealous of you!

I'm not surprised that Dutch are troublemakers as babies--all the ones I've known as adults are troublemakers too!

What about if they abandon the nestbox completely? I had the same question when my babies were that old. Now they are 3 weeks and they haven't spent a significant amount of time in their nestbox for the last three days. Should I leave it in the cage? Take it out? They seem ok...

tonyshuman wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

I'm so jealous of you!

I'm not surprised that Dutch are troublemakers as babies--all the ones I've known as adults are troublemakers too!

OMG Yesterday I was over playing with them!!! I was in heaven! The dutch mama had 8 babies and 1 didn't make it. This was her FIRST LITTER! She's a good mama also. She is protective but not mean. She was pulling hair from her butt to keep them warm when it got super cold the other night.

The MR Mama is so sweet. She binkies from laying down if I say "what are you doin' little mama?" It's so cute!

Can you imagine - me and 9 babies to play with. My cousin's wife knows I'm just crazy for them. She's like "Come over and play with them all you like" LOL!

I love my dutch babies, Amita's box is very tall so it takes her babies a little bit longer to get in and out of the box; but Neena, Robyn, Kitty, and eventually Mimzy's box are all shallower than Amita's-it's just how they're made. Robyn's got 4 right now, but they were born May 19th, Amita's 5 were born on the 20th, and they are also popping up and down already.

Back