Babies due tues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
Keep your fingers crossed for me i have 2bunnies due on tues Lucy my black otter nethie and Squishy my blackotter lionhead. As they are both small breeds we seem to lose a lot ofkits through birth so far we have only had 3 kits that have survivedSquishy was the first then she had a lovely agouti kit and Yoshi isjust turning 8 weeks old he is a blue siamese nethie and is a babe.Unfortunately we lost his mum she had 2 kits and then when she waseating the sack off she took a seizure and died it happened reallyquick. The 1st baby was dead but yoshi survived we hand reared for aday then one of our other buns Dorie had her kits both dead but she hastaken on Yoshi and done a brill job for her first time. Hears hoping wehave better luck this time.

here it is Monday night at 11 pm and no babiesyet.... I'm trying to be patient but mamapeach is my pride and joy andI am really excited to see if she does have babies. She hasn't allowedme to touch her belly and I haven't wanted to upset her by forcing theissue butdecided to wait and see (ratherimpatiently I might say) She lined her box with hay 3 days ago andpulled a small amount of hair and tucked it in a corner, butnothing since. I'm sure it will be soon as she is not eating much andis a little restless in her cage.Hopefully morning will havea surprize for me...

No babies yet and its 6pm here, but none of myrabbits ever seem to have their babies on a morning like the books sayshould happen

Squishy is not far off i reckon she will have them 2nite, Lucy i'm notsure about she had one litter last year but this is the 3rd time sincethen and the last 2 have been phantoms or she has reabsorbed. She hasnested last week and pulled some hair at the time but she hasn't doneanything since then. She isn't eating much though just a bit ofbroccoli and cabbage so that usually means they are going to pop.

I just hope everything goes ok for them both this time

Well Squishy had 4 at about midnight last nightone was a peanut all of them dead and Lucy went about 7.30 this morningwhen my husband got up she was trying to keep them warm she had cleanedall of them. but he thought 2 of them had been born dead and theircoldness had killed the other 2 he was just having a look at the lastone before getting rid of it and it squeeked so he brought it insideand warmed it up and it is still going 2nite we have kept it insidewith a hear pad to keep it warm but Lucy has fed it and its a grubberso hopefully it stands a chance.

4 in a litter is more than we have ever had before (usually 1 or 2) andi know nethies are harder to breed but we are wondering if theressomething that could cause us to lose so many like enviromentally or ifit really is this hard to breed nethies. we seem to end up helping andwhen we haven't we lose the kit anyway.

Please get back to me anyone if you can shed some light on this for me as we are new breeders Thanks

I have been told by others that Nethies areincredibly hard to breed and that the success rate for kits is fairlylow due to the dwarfing gene and getting so many peanuts, etc.

I'm so sorry about the litter - hopefully the one you've been able to save will make it.

Peg

Here is the link for the American club for Netherlands - maybe you can find some helpful information there?

http://www.andrc.com/index.html

Thankyou v. much. We are def. learning more eachtime. I just can't figure out how the other breeders manage to get livebabies without interfering. Bruce (my hubby) and I just can'tbe not caring all our breeders are still treated like petsand is not uncommen for them to look for affection while in labour thegreat thing is they are not phased by us being there so at least we cankeep an eye on them and babies.

I reckon we have had about 22 kits to date and this is the 4th live onei just hope it survives Lucy is a good mum and the babies a fighter butwe are having to keep it in the house and take it out to Lucy for shorttimes we put it out for an hour earlier and lucy was taking care of itbut after the hour the baby was freezing so it is beside me on a heatpad as we just don't want to lose it.

I raise Netherland dwarfs and unless you have aheated building, heat lamps,or nest box heaters,i would notbreed in winter.they just dont survive i think its because the littersare soo small.my other advice is use the big ugly non dwarf gene doesyou will get no peanut babies(these does may weigh 3 lbs or more).thesmall does often lose the first litter due too birthingcomplications.does weighing less than 2 lbs are not used forbreeding.too much risk.I use a clamp lamp with a 100 watt bulb.rightover the nest box.these are in my basement and the temperature is abovefreezing already.I have raised Netherland dwarfs over twenty years.Theaverage litter size is 3.many of my big does have 4 0r 5 babies.otherbreeds of rabbits have peanut babiestoo, Holland lops,minirex,jersey woolies,and lionheads.you can email me directly if youlike.davidson [email protected]bluebird. Ps i also raise Holland lops and they are about as difficulttoo raise as Netherlands.

Hi Bluebird thanks for your reply i will add youto my email list. Over here its really hard to get big does they arebigger than the bucks butonly up to maybe 2lbs. We have had a bit of astress today as lucy fed the kit and then it tried to get back underher and she has grabbed it by the back leg sunk the teeth in and thentossed it. its still with us but not sure how its going to do its weefoot is very bruised. we have decided to set up the baby and mum in thehouse we hwave done this before and its succesful. but we are going togive the kit to squishy as she was brought up in the house and she hasalready raised a kit. so we think it will give it a better chance.Thanks again

Hey blubird got it wrong we work in kg not lbswhich after going away and converting means our does are around 3lbs.(I'm no mathematician!) but we usually only manage a litter of one ortwo. We were hoping for one from each one then put them together with 1mum.My husband said squishys kits were born deadbuthow quick can they die after being born he was there whenshe had them

Thats very good.:bunnydance:

sorry to hear about the kits

i never knew nethies are hard to breed i had 5 sucessful litters frommy nethies when i bred them but i sold them as i stopped breeding andkept my x's as pets

Hi guys, bad news baby died today was still verysmall like it didn't grow much, to be honest i don't think squish wasproducing enough milk:(

Latest posts

Back