Babies born outside of nest box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, on Saturday night my mini lop Renata gave birth to 7 beautiful bunnies. I gave her a nest box last week which she seemed to fill with hay, and it is the box she used for her last pregnancy with no issues. However this time she has had them right next to the box, there was plenty of hay and she'd lined it with her fur and the babies are fine, but can I move the babies with the fur ect into the nest box? Or will that disturb her/them? If anyone can advise is be so glad to hear from you. Thanks 😊

Yes, they need to be in the nest box. Though you may need to move the nest box to the location where she had the kits. Then monitor to make sure she is feeding within 24-36 hours, if not you may need to intervene.

Info for accidental litters, but has good info on what to do with a new litter and the new mom, and what to expect.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Yes you can move them into the nestbox. I do it all the time. Sometimes does are kind of dumb. Just pick up the whole nest with fur and move it into the nestbox. In all the years I've been breeding rabbits, sometimes it shocks me just how willing the mother does are to dealing with change. I've switched out nestboxes entirely for a clean one, moved nests, switched nestboxes with a different litter from a different doe, grabbed kits from one mother and moved them into a different nest with a different mother, flipped the nestbox onto its side, switched out all the bedding, took it away for a half a day, etc, and none of that seems to phase the dams.

Yes you can move them into the nestbox. I do it all the time. Sometimes does are kind of dumb. Just pick up the whole nest with fur and move it into the nestbox. In all the years I've been breeding rabbits, sometimes it shocks me just how willing the mother does are to dealing with change. I've switched out nestboxes entirely for a clean one, moved nests, switched nestboxes with a different litter from a different doe, grabbed kits from one mother and moved them into a different nest with a different mother, flipped the nestbox onto its side, switched out all the bedding, took it away for a half a day, etc, and none of that seems to phase the dams.
Thank you so much, that's so good to know.

Yes, they need to be in the nest box. Though you may need to move the nest box to the location where she had the kits. Then monitor to make sure she is feeding within 24-36 hours, if not you may need to intervene.

Info for accidental litters, but has good info on what to do with a new litter and the new mom, and what to expect.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm
Its literally right next to the box, so I'm going to try and move the today, thank you!

Latest posts

Back