Babies Born Out Of Nest Box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurenashley6609

Reaction score
This morning I went to check on my Flemish Giant because she was a couple days past due and this is her first litter. When I got down there I was shocked to see the babies were not born in the nest box!

3 were in the cage beside the nest box, 2 had fallen through the cage and were on the ground, 2 more were in the bucks cage, and she was in the process of eating one.

Other than the one she was eating, they were all still alive but very very cold and weak. I gathered them up and brought them to the house where i placed them in zip lock baggies (not sealed) and put the baggies in water which was just a tad warmer than room temperature. I have gotten their body temperature back up. I put them in an old purse with clean blankets and they are all sleeping and warm and seem fine.

I was not sure of what to do but I had to leave for work so I brought them with me. My question is, Can I attempt to put them into the nest box for the mama to take care of when i get home or should I keep them with me and attempt to hand feed? I realize now that I probably should have taken them back to the mama as soon as I got their body temp. back up but again I was so unsure.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Having the first litter outside the nest box could be explained. Eating one, however, isn't a good sign. I haven't had this problem yet (and hope never to!), so I'm curious as to what the experts say. If it had been a case of simply being born out of a nest box, then I would have warmed them up and given them back to her. But since she's eating them, not sure that would be a good idea. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

You could try giving them back to her, when you're there, for a few minutes to see if she'll nurse them. If not, you can hold her and let them nurse. Only as a last resort would I attempt to strictly bottle feed them. Some physically hold the rabbit over the nest, others hold the mother upside down (on their lap) and attach babies to her that way.

She might have been eating it because it was already dead. Put the babies in the nest box and watch closely to see if she feeds them. If you are worried about them you can just take the box out to her twice per day (dawn and dusk) and let her jump in and feed them. when she is done you can bring the whole box inside.

Maybe she was eating them because the buck was near her, my friends bunny killed all her babies because the buck was in a hutch next to her and she got scared as she thought he was gonna kill them so she did it first (this is what the vets said). But i agree with the others, try and force her to feed the babies by holding her down, as bottle feeding bunnies should be the last resort. Hope everything goes well!

Latest posts

Back