babies and the heat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Julia
Reaction score
I have 3 black otter jersey wooly babies, that are about 2 weeks old. It is very hot in Kansas. Should I take out some of the fur in the nesting box to help keep the babies cooler? Is there anything else I should do for them?

If the doe put a lot of hair in the nestbox then, yes, I would take most of it out. At 2 weeks they should be moving around now anyway, and coming out of the nestbox...or will be very soon. To help keep them cool you could also hang a small cage fan up so that it blows partially into the box. You don't want it blowing too strong, but enough to keep air moving.

We have 3 litters of kits between 2-3 weeks and that's what we've done. Ours are under an insulated roof, which helps keep the temps down some, but it's starting to getting hot here too.

I have a fan on them. The mother pulled the extra fur out of the nesting box herself. They are now getting out of the box and it seems to be cooler for them that way.

Back