Average Lifespan?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
I'm curious - what is the average lifespan of a Netherland Dwarf / Lionhead mixed breed dwarf rabbit?

Details:
• 1/4 Lionhead, 3/4 Netherland Dwarf
• indoor pet; partially free-roam
• spayed
• currently weighs around 4 lbs.
• occasional vet check ups & heathy as far as I know
• daily exercise time and strict diet
• 4.5 years old (born May 15, 2016)

I would like to know the average lifespan for reference. Is it true mixed breed rabbits live longer?? I understand every rabbit is different, but trying to make long-term plans and hoping she will be around for years to come!!

It said that their lifespan is at least 10years and I have heard before that smaller breeds don't live as long as regular size or larger breeds but I would like to believe that all bunnies, when properly taken cared of, can live at least 10 years or more :)

I would say as normal regular sized bunny, around 10 years or over if no health issues kick in ☺️

It said that their lifespan is at least 10years and I have heard before that smaller breeds don't live as long as regular size or larger breeds but I would like to believe that all bunnies, when properly taken cared of, can live at least 10 years or more :)
Actually it is the opposite. The very large breeds have shorter lives and the smaller breeds tend to live longer. :)

I did some more research, and it looks like between 8-10 years is average lifespan for a healthy small / medium sized rabbit...

My friend just lost her beloved pet rabbit who is similar to my bunny age-wise (and he was perfectly healthy, so it was a shock). Hence why I'm suddenly paranoid my bunny is getting older too! But thank you all for the helpful info :)

My Lionhead we think is 10. We rescued him 18 months ago and our vet reckons
He is old due to his teeth problems he only has spikes now and can only eat science select pellets soften in water. Occasional treat like a grape. He’s never been a hay eater despite having offered him all the top quality ones. We keep him indoors.

Attachments

• 18745764-9E3F-4B86-B5E1-B16746B72AEF.jpeg
    18745764-9E3F-4B86-B5E1-B16746B72AEF.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 6
  • EDC8A5A9-46F6-4E4B-8FDF-C6C68F89C158.jpeg
    EDC8A5A9-46F6-4E4B-8FDF-C6C68F89C158.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 6
Back