average care cost?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas

Reaction score
Ok what would be the averagemonthlycost for normal care of your rabbits?food,bedding,etc... I used to have Sugar Gliders and the diet was themost expensive thing.. well other than all the toys to spoil them...

thank you....

Well, with my rabbit Harper, he goes through two5 pound bags of food a month, at $9 a bag, so that's $18. He doesn'tuse bedding, he's litter pan trained, and a 10 pound bag of litterlasts for months, and only costs $5. His hay costs about $15 a month,and his vegetables costs about $30 a month. None of this includes hisnecessities, like cage, food bowl, water bottle, toys (lots and lots oftoys), ect. However, on average, he costs me anywhere from $40-$60 amonth. That's just the monthly neccesities, and doesn't include thefact that I buy him about 3 new toys a week, and other misc. stuff forhis cage LOL.

However, definitely remember to make sure you have plenty of extramoney in case of a bunny emergency. I've had Harper for 2 years andnever had an emergency until he got sick with ablockage lastweek. I was in a panic when my vet was closed the night he got sick,and I never felt so helpless than I did that night when I couldn'tafford the emergency vet. Thank goodness his vet opened the nextmorning, and in the end, I've spend nearly $400 on his surgery andafter-care costs (and it took me selling all my college textbooksearlyand maxing out credit cards just to pay for it). Sodefinitely keep that in mind! I'm now putting money away for the"Harper Emergency Fund" in case he ever gets sick again.

Domino goes through 25 lbs. of blue seal bunny16 rabbit food and that is about $10. when i buy a baleof hayit is also between $8-$10 and that is $20 a max with one rabbit. thisall lasts about one to two months.

Hm....

Kahlua (weighs about 7 or 8 pounds) eats pellets, hay, andveggies/fruits. She goes through 1 1/2 bags of 4 lbs. pelletsat $1.10 each (we get them from a feedstore). The hay we buyin bales, $10 for a 90 lb bale so the monthly cost of hay is next tonothing. The veggies and fruits are most expensive and I'dsay we spend about $25 a month on those. Litter goes only herlitter box and a 20 lb bag costs us $10+tax. Thecage was $70 (x large dog crate) and her toys range from $1 to $5 each.

I spent roughly 1o dollars every couple monthson rabbit food. I use martins because that is the best kind (healthwise) that I can find. It does not contain any seeds so I do not haveto worry about stasis. I get my hay for free from farmers, but forthose that do not have connections with farmers you can buy a bale fora couple bucks where I am from. His hay lasts for a few months and isbetter then the stuff you get in pet stores.I also buy woodstove pellets that come in forty pound bags as his litter. Wood stovepellets are amazing because they soak up alot of urine, they are cheap(about four or five dollars) and unlike care fresh or woodships, theyhave no chance of hurting your litter bunny. Wiley's bedding isblankets and towels. As for fresh veggies, I am not sure how much thatcosts really. I am vegan so I always have lots of veggies in thefridge. Also, Wiley is thirteen to fifteen pounds. I don't know howmuch things cost in pet stores because i refuse to go in them.

As for starting out costs, I spent 250 dollars on a Marchio cage (thathe hardly goes in hahaha), baby toys, about twenty bucks worth, andlitter boxes, dishes water bottle and so on costs roughly 50 bucks. Ispent about 120 on his first aid kit. I suggest putting together yourown. It as everything including cauterizing sticks, Ovol and so on.

The initial cost is more expensive then thier upkeep.

Hope this helps.:)

Latest posts

Back