Automatic/Timed Pellet Feeders?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney88

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good feeder for rabbits that dispenses an appropriate amount of pellets? The reason I ask is because some days I work long hours and I would prefer not to give them their entire amount of pellets when I leave the house at 7 AM, but I also don't like making them wait until I get home close to 11 PM before getting their second helping of food. All the feeders I found online are for dogs, cats, or fish, and I feel like they would take up way too much room in my rabbits' cages. Any advice??

(Side note: I never leave my rabbits in their cage without exercise for 16 hours at a time - my mom can easily come watch them because I live close now...I'm writing this post to prepare for the unlikely event that no one will be around to feed them when I move in a few months. I'd never leave my buns unattended like that on a regular basis!)

Mine get their 1/4 cup of pellets once per day, right before I go to bed. They have plenty of hay 24/7, so I see nothing wrong with feeding pellets once per day. Since that routine is established, it isn't an issue.
I also feed mine their greens just once per day - usually around my dinnertime. On occasion, they get some in the morning, but just occasionally.

I feed mine their entire amount (1/4 or 1/2, I have two breeds) once per day too, along with hay to nibble throughout the other hours.

It's really not a problem to feed once at 7am and once at 11pm either. Whatever works best for you. Animals are flexible and their bodies adjust to whichever schedule is regular for them. I work late too, so my rabbits' usual feeding time is around 10-11pm. They don't know that people usually eat their dinner at 6pm because they're not people! So to them, that feeding time isn't "late"...it's normal. :)

Back