Attention please!!!! Phoenix isn't out of the clear yet...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
I've just gotten home and noticed Phoenix has diarrhoea and on her bum a bit, she won't let me get a good look. She is eating lots of hay and drinking water well and is active unlike last night but I know this isn't right...
So what should I do? I'm stressing AGAIN and don't know what to do. I thought she was ok now but I knew that last night that something had to be wrong with her.
Help please!!!!

True diarrhea is extremely serious in rabbits. I'd really recommend getting her to a rabbit-savvy vet as soon as you can. In the meantime, make sure she has lots of fresh hay and water.

True watery diarrhea in young rabbits is usually an indication of a serious digestive illness, usually coccidiosis or bacterial enteritis. I would get your bun to the vet immediately and take a fresh fecal sample with you to be tested. Your bun should be put on the appropriate antibiotic for which one is affecting her.

Another possible cause can be eating bad food. Either veggies that are off, or feed or hay that has molded, so check all those things as well to ensure they aren't the cause of the problem.

If it's not diarrhea and is just a little bit of mushy poop, it's not likely as serious and may just be a diet problem.

I also think JBun is right, trip to the vet is next step. Since she is young and you said in another post she got cold and lethargic before, she needs to go to the vet now. Make sure you keep her hydrated even if it means you have to syringe fluids.

Thank you everyone :) I will be looking for a rabbit-savvy vet asap so when the time comes I have someone with full experience.
It wasn't watery Jbun and some of her poos are normal then some are black and wet. I will keep a close eye on her. In the meantime she is eating lots of hay and drinking fresh water :)
Thanks everyone for your replies! Means heaps.

In the meantime you could try giving benebac/critical care to help.

No, those aren't normal. I'd definitely ask the vet to take a stool sample to rule out the things that JBun had mentioned. The most important thing is that she is eating a lot of hay and drinking water normally. If she isn't, you have to intervene with critical care(she might eat it in her own) or by syringe feeding and/or sub cutaneous fluids under the skin. The vet can show you how to administer it. Make sure her bum is kept clean and also her cage. How is her behaviour?

I'm wondering(if it's not an illness) if maybe she has a partial blockage and its trying to work it's way through. Is she shedding a lot at the moment?

Last edited by a moderator:
A rabbit recovering from gi stasis can sometimes have odd poop for a few days as the digestive system gets back to functioning normally, but pathogenic bacteria/parasites can also be a cause of odd fecal poop and the other symptoms your rabbit has had, and that would be my concern. I would personally take a fresh fecal sample to my vet to be tested, to rule out that possibility. Because if one of these is the cause, it can lead to very serious illness occurring.

Ok thank you both. Is this something that I should do today? I don't have too much $$ at the moment and need to know, is this an emergency? Could it wait til next week to take her?? If you could just let me know, that would be great!!
Her bum looked fine the last time I looked but I will take another.
Thanks again.

I know what I'd do but it's your rabbit so you have do make the decision. I understand your financial predicament. However, the bad thing about waiting sometimes is that a problem that wasn't too serious initally can become dire if left for too long. You could also be faced with an emergency situation where you're forced to take your rabbit to an after hours emergency vet clinic. Trust me, it will cost you. If you bunny starts popping normally by tomorrow or if it hasn't gotten any worse, you might be ok to wait. I would not. But thats just me. If you had critical care on hand, and knew how to do sub q fluids or if you'd gone through this before it might be ok to wait but when you're inexperienced with caring for a sick animal, it's better not to try to guess if you should wait. Since none of us can see your rabbit and the behaviour, it's pretty difficult to say what to do for certain. That's why I'm encouraging you to got to the vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Beverly. There is really no way for us to know if this is a serious illness or not. I can only go by your description of symptoms and tell you my opinion, which is what I did. Your bun could be perfectly fine now or there could be an underlying problem. Only you can decide. If you still have concerns there may be a problem, in the least a fecal sample can be tested, usually without having to take your rabbit in, and it should be relatively inexpensive. But if you do want a fecal sample tested, it's not something I would wait on and would have it done right away.

Though if your bun is now eating and drinking normally(normal amounts including normal hay amounts), and her poop is normal, then it may be she is perfectly fine and has recovered from whatever happened with her.

Ok thanks to you Both, what's confusing me is that most of her poos are normal, the photo I posted last night of them poos, she hasn't done anymore... They are all back to normal now and then knowing her, they will change again.
Her behaviour: she is her usual self completely, eating her hay non stop like usual and drinking lots of water, running around the room like a crazy cat! And all of her poos so far today are normal pellets. But I see what you both are saying. It's just crazy how fast they can get sick and how fast they can recover again.
She just seems fine right now...

Latest posts

Back