Attention outdoor bunny owners!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And for bedding I just use normal hay ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Hi Outdoor Bunny Owners :)

I too live in Australia so cant vax for everything. It does make you worry about keeping them outside.

We do both, Rosie is outside over night & during the day when we are not home. This weekend my hubby is putting 2 layers of fly screen on her hutch. One layer outside the hutch & one layer inside (as suggested by another bunny owner) so if she lays up against the side of the hutch, she cant get bitten by mossies through the fly screen.

I also remove all food from her hutch of a night, so it doesn't attract rodents. I also wash her cage out and put fresh bedding hay back in at least twice a week.

Her hutch is under cover on stilts, but she LOVES being on the grass. First time I put her down on it I almost lost her! (quick bunny legs ;) )

Next day I went to the pet shop and got her a harness, you can probably see her wearing it in either my avatar or profile picture.

Every morning I brush her and put the harness on, every night I take it off and brush her again. Everyday after lunch my daughter and I take Rosie out the back (on a leash) and let her hop around and munch on grass for about half an hour.

in my opinion inside bunnies are the ones missing out! You'll see why the moment you put bunny down on the grass (hopping, running, sniffing, frolicking, Rosie just loves it its lovely to see her having so much fun)

Last edited:
I am sorry but for me, it's hard not to judge those who have bunnies kept outside, I'm trying my best to understand, but I really don't get it. Anyone care to enlighten me as to the reasons you would keep them outdoors in a cage? I would really like to be supportive of bunnies outdoors...and I am not just trying to be snarky.

Got another question? For those who keep their buns locked away from other buns...what's the point of that? Buns like to groom and snuggle and lounge together, why keep them separate? I couldn't imagine keeping my buns from their friends.

And, I already feel guilty leaving my buns in their giant indoor enclosure when I am away, but they get to run around for hours a day when I am home...do your caged outdoor buns get to run and play freely everyday?

I'm happy to answer your questions :)

Why I personally keep my bunny outdoors in a cage;
1. our house is not bunny proof, when she is outside in her cage I don't have to worry about her chewing through electrical wires or getting stuck behind the fridge.

2. She actually likes her hutch. When she's overly active or very skittish I put her in her cage to calm down. She can hide under her hay for an hour or so then is ready for more cuddles.

3. There's a possibility my daughter and I are allergic.. :-/ didn't find this out till a couple of days after getting rosie home and by then we were already in love. I left her in the cage yesterday because my arms were burning (welts/rashes) but after 24 hours with lots of cream and little contact my arms are fine again and roise is roaming again :)

For those who keep their buns locked away from other buns...what's the point of that?
We only have one bunny, so doesn't really apply to use. Reasons I have heard of people separating their bunnies = fighting & mating. If the bunnies all happily got along, I'm sure people would keep them together, it would be cheaper for starters. That said, if I had personally had an experience where my bunnies lived happily together for years then killed each other id never house bunnies together again.

do your caged outdoor buns get to run and play freely everyday?
Sure does :)
weekdays = free roam in kitchen from 6am-8am, grass play from 1230-1pm, then free roam in house from 1pm-3pm, free roam in kitchen from 6pm - 7pm then bed in her hutch outside,
Weekends = Free roam in kitchen from 6am-7am, then free roam in house from 7am onwards unless we go out then she goes back in the cage. She comes to the park down the road at least once every weekend (on a leash)

Only time I stick her in her cage outside these times is if I get overwhelmed with poop or if my daughter (who is 4 and has autism) is having a bad day and is not being nice to rosie.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Bandit is mostly indoors, however my previous rabbit Hazel-rah was kept outside in a hutch, happy and healthy for many years. He frequently got to run around in a large play pen on the lawn and I would pick him up and cuddle with him and spend lots of time petting him.

Yes there are extra safety concerns with outdoor rabbit keeping such as extremes of heat and cold, disease etc, but you have to prepare for it.

We keep both our buns outside. They're absolutely fine. They can run around as much as they want, still have their shelter and protection from the miserable English weather. I couldn't keep them in as they'd make too much mess. They're not bonded.. Yet so they take it in turns to run around the garden which they LOVE! They keep the grass short and get rid of the dandelions! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396815502.988541.jpg this is Oreo. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396815527.456941.jpg here's Riddick

I'm happy to answer your questions :)

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Now that's what I'm talking about! This post actually made me feel bad I have indoor buns, and that has never happened before lol! Sounds like your buns have an amazing life, I just hope that there are others who are as attentive and caring and on top of schedules like you are. This was the most impressive explanation I could have ever asked for. This is what being a bunny is all about, and big high 5 for those sweet babies that have such great bunparents!:carrot

I am sorry but for me, it's hard not to judge those who have bunnies kept outside, I'm trying my best to understand, but I really don't get it. Anyone care to enlighten me as to the reasons you would keep them outdoors in a cage? I would really like to be supportive of bunnies outdoors...and I am not just trying to be snarky.

Got another question? For those who keep their buns locked away from other buns...what's the point of that? Buns like to groom and snuggle and lounge together, why keep them separate? I couldn't imagine keeping my buns from their friends.

And, I already feel guilty leaving my buns in their giant indoor enclosure when I am away, but they get to run around for hours a day when I am home...do your caged outdoor buns get to run and play freely everyday?

I have a few good points to add.

I actually think it is healthy to keep them outside because they can eat the grass and clover. This makes them very happy, as well as providing the nutrition that dried hay would otherwise be used for. When you have outdoor bunnies, you must either take them for a run every day or provide them with a large run. That way they can get their exercise.

As for keeping them together, not everyone has bonded rabbits. If you don't, you can't keep them together inside or outside the house until they're bonded. Besides, some people (like me) plan to breed their rabbits. We don't want to neuter or spay them, so they cannot be bonded.

To answer your third question, I own a harness. I take my bunnies out for a run every day. If it is raining, I bring them inside, lock up the cats, and try my best to keep them away from cords.

Finally, I have a few points of my own to add. The reason I keep my rabbits outdoors is that I have cats. I have tried many times to make the cats like the bunnies, but the only thing the cats see in a bunny is a fun little toy. If anyone has predatory pets, like cats or dogs, they usually can't keep bunnies inside. Also, my house is not safe for rabbits. There are tons of electrical wires (my whole family is obsessed with computers), there are lots of dangerous places, such as pianos, fridges, beds, dressers, and tables that bunnies can get stuck behind, and our doors are prone to slamming violently when the windows are open. Besides, my bunnies hate the slippery wood floor.

Thank you for asking. I hope my answer has been helpful😀

Last edited:
The post won't let me edit

I just wanted to add that my bunnies are both happier and safer outside (except when I am hovering over them, which I always do when they are inside). I handle and exercise them every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back