Attention outdoor bunny owners!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnies4504

Reaction score
I wanted to make this topic for all the rabbit owners with their bunnies kept outside. There are Many things that can be discussed about this such as health issues etc. let's comment some tips down below! 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I think we need our own forum. Sometimes I feel a little judged by The House Rabbit Society.

yup. all of my rabbits are outside. i have 13 rabbits and every one has their own huge hutch. i think they would hate it inside.

I love the idea of rabbits being properly cared for and living outdoors. :) I wish my bunnies got to play outside more. Since we can't vaccinate for myxomatosis in Australia, I feel more comfortable with my buns inside, and we don't have a backyard at our current house anyway. I'd love to see pictures of your outdoor bunny setups!

All but one of ours is outside (by necessity) and it doesn't bother me what the HRS thinks. What works for one doesn't always work for others. :D

I am sorry but for me, it's hard not to judge those who have bunnies kept outside, I'm trying my best to understand, but I really don't get it. Anyone care to enlighten me as to the reasons you would keep them outdoors in a cage? I would really like to be supportive of bunnies outdoors...and I am not just trying to be snarky.

Got another question? For those who keep their buns locked away from other buns...what's the point of that? Buns like to groom and snuggle and lounge together, why keep them separate? I couldn't imagine keeping my buns from their friends.

And, I already feel guilty leaving my buns in their giant indoor enclosure when I am away, but they get to run around for hours a day when I am home...do your caged outdoor buns get to run and play freely everyday?

Got another question? For those who keep their buns locked away from other buns...what's the point of that? Buns like to groom and snuggle and lounge together, why keep them separate? I couldn't imagine keeping my buns from their friends.

I cant answer the other questions.
But this one honestly, it can be seriously dangerous to put together 2 unbounded rabbits. Sure buns like to groom each other, when their bonded. Not all rabbits are bonded. And just because you have 2 and even if they are both spayed/neutered is no guarantee they ever will bond. Rabbits can kill each other. They are safer alone sometimes. Rabbits can be perfectly happy on their own.

I cant answer the other questions.
But this one honestly, it can be seriously dangerous to put together 2 unbounded rabbits. Sure buns like to groom each other, when their bonded. Not all rabbits are bonded. And just because you have 2 and even if they are both spayed/neutered is no guarantee they ever will bond. Rabbits can kill each other. They are safer alone sometimes. Rabbits can be perfectly happy on their own.

Yeah I know how dangerous it can be to bond a pair, I spent the better part of 3 years bonding two of my buns, it was really tough and I thought I would never get there, but fortunately one is so submissive that all she wanted was love and finally bonding prevailed. But the lesson I learned here is patience with bonding and lots of love and I have to say after 3 years, my buns are happily bonded, thank god. So while some may be better suited alone, you never know unless you really and truly put forth the effort...rabbits are by nature social animals that live in big groups of up to 20 buns, so I feel that keeping them separate is against their natural instincts. Of course if they have been separate all their lives, then yeah, they will be territorial and aggressive, they don't know any different since they haven't had the chance to socialize and live harmoniously...and in that instance they do tend to be better suited alone.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean anything. Not all rabbits will bond. And it has nothing to do with "alone their entire lives" either. 3 month old rabbits who are starting to mature can still kill each other.
There is nothing wrong with rabbits living outside either.
People do what is best suited for their situation.
Numerous outdoor bunnies lead much happier lives then even some indoor bunnies.
Its not in a rabbits natural instinct to play with toys or use a litter box or live in human houses, but we still do that. And wild rabbits living in "large groups" doesn't mean their bonded either. They can often tolerate each other, but they have miles and miles of space they can be away from each other in when they encounter each other. You never see 20 plus rabbits together all grooming each other. They live close to each other because that's just what rabbits do, breed and eat and try and survive. And just because 2 rabbits mate, does not mean their bonded either. When I see wild rabbit colonies here, there never in pairs, their only close together because they will be killed if they wander any further away from the safe spots. Doesn't mean their bonded or being social. Their all evenly spaced away from each other, their still territorial animals by nature.
We tweek their instincts and bond them for our own peace of mind.
People not being able to bond 2 rabbits they own does not make them lazy. It doesn't always work, end of point.
Rabbits do just fine on their own.
Rabbits do just fine outside.
Rabbits do just fine with no free time.
Everyone will have their own opinion because it works well for them. And it works well for their rabbits. If it didn't they wouldn't be doing it.

I am sorry but for me, it's hard not to judge those who have bunnies kept outside, I'm trying my best to understand, but I really don't get it. Anyone care to enlighten me as to the reasons you would keep them outdoors in a cage? I would really like to be supportive of bunnies outdoors...and I am not just trying to be snarky.

And, I already feel guilty leaving my buns in their giant indoor enclosure when I am away, but they get to run around for hours a day when I am home...do your caged outdoor buns get to run and play freely everyday?

what is your problem? you have no right to judge anyone on the choices they make. rabbits that live outdoors are JUST as happy and healthy as rabbits that live indoors. What's wrong with a rabbit living outside? wild rabbits do? lol. everyone does what works best for them. I personally live with my parents so I have no choice but to have them outdoors and they love it outside that's natural to them. I give them a lot attention and I even bring them inside to play. I am not going to judge people who keep their rabbits indoors because I know that they are taking the best care of their rabbits as possible just as me and anyone else who keeps their rabbits outdoors are doing the best that we can. and just because a rabbit isn't bonded with another rabbit doesn't mean the rabbit isn't happy.

I understand that you feel that keeping your rabbits indoors is best but it's best for you and your rabbits. it doesn't mean that it's best for everyone to house their rabbits indoors just as it's not best for everyone to house their rabbits outdoors.

this forum is meant to help
and support people who have the common interest of raising rabbits so please watch what you say. thank you.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean anything. Not all rabbits will bond. And it has nothing to do with "alone their entire lives" either. 3 month old rabbits who are starting to mature can still kill each other.
There is nothing wrong with rabbits living outside either.
People do what is best suited for their situation.
Numerous outdoor bunnies lead much happier lives then even some indoor bunnies.
Its not in a rabbits natural instinct to play with toys or use a litter box or live in human houses, but we still do that. And wild rabbits living in "large groups" doesn't mean their bonded either. They can often tolerate each other, but they have miles and miles of space they can be away from each other in when they encounter each other. You never see 20 plus rabbits together all grooming each other. They live close to each other because that's just what rabbits do, breed and eat and try and survive. And just because 2 rabbits mate, does not mean their bonded either. When I see wild rabbit colonies here, there never in pairs, their only close together because they will be killed if they wander any further away from the safe spots. Doesn't mean their bonded or being social. Their all evenly spaced away from each other, their still territorial animals by nature.
We tweek their instincts and bond them for our own peace of mind.
People not being able to bond 2 rabbits they own does not make them lazy. It doesn't always work, end of point.
Rabbits do just fine on their own.
Rabbits do just fine outside.
Rabbits do just fine with no free time.
Everyone will have their own opinion because it works well for them. And it works well for their rabbits. If it didn't they wouldn't be doing it.

You brought up a lot of points that I never inquired about nor insinuated in my previous posts (such as being lazy or mating...my buns are all fixed), so it seems that this is highly touchy subject. I am asking questions and putting my two cents in bc I am trying to understand...If asked why I keep my buns indoors housed together, my simple reply is "why have pets if you just keep them outside?" if someone thinks it's wrong for them to be indoors (like my MIL feels) my reply is "they were bred to be domesticated pets, they do not have the required skill sets to be left to their own devices outdoors, no place to burrow or hide from danger, safety is indoors" I don't just have indoor animals because it works best for me, I am also thinking about their overall health (parasites, illnesses, temperature etc), safety and well being of my buns...as a bonus of having indoor free roaming buns I get to see them play and run around and interact with me and my family, which is truly a joy to watch. If you became upset from my inquiries, then I apologize if I made you feel defensive, as this was not my intention.

This was a topic created by a member to discuss positive things about outdoor rabbit keeping. Advice and tips, etc.
Not for those who keep their rabbits outdoors or as singles to have their motives questioned, judged, or put down.
If you have nothing positive to contribute to this topic please do not reply.

If everyone would take the time to refresh themselves on the forum rules, that would be great.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f39/rabbitsonline-forum-policy-decorum-10320/

Lets keep this topic CLEAN and POSITIVE.
Any more negativity in regards to this discussion or outdoor rabbit keeping from this point on will be removed from the topic and the member will be pm'd with an infraction.

Like I said before, I think we need our own forum.

Like I said before, I think we need our own forum.

Not going to happen.
Outdoor rabbit keeping does not needs its own forum. If you wish to discuss aspects of breeding/showing rabbits that live outdoors - then please use the forum subsection "Rabbity and show room". If you wish to discuss pet owner aspects of outdoor rabbit keeping then simply use the appropriate subsection in the rest of the forum - "housing and environment" or "health and wellness", etc.
If you are still unable to keep the chat civilized at that point then it may be best not to engage in conversation.

If we made a forum section for every single difference the rabbit community disagrees on we would have thousands of topics for those types of people.

If you have a problem with something another member has posted in a topic, and it goes against the forum rules, then report it and it will be looked after by forum staff.
This is still a community and EVERYONE is required to play nice. Once you start attempting to separate the community by requiring different forums for different types of members, more problems will arise.

PLAY NICE

This topic will be closed if people don't get back on subject.

What are you using as bedding in your rabbit hutches ?
I am planing on building a rabbit hutch for my bunnies to be in for this summer ... and hopefully winter too if I will be able to do a good hutch :) So I would love to see more tips and hear more stories of your outdoor bunnies lives :D

What are you using as bedding in your rabbit hutches ?
I am planing on building a rabbit hutch for my bunnies to be in for this summer ... and hopefully winter too if I will be able to do a good hutch :) So I would love to see more tips and hear more stories of your outdoor bunnies lives :D

I use straw for bedding in the hutches in winter because it's a good insulator of heat. In the summer I'm going to put ceramic tiles down on the hutch floor to help keep them cool. I also have the Oxbow grass mats for them to lounge on. It seems like most people use a wire floor for outdoor buns, but I litter trained mine and have a rubber mat for flooring so I can wash it.

sorry. but i could never imagine keeping all 13 of my rabbits inside. it would just be WAY to messy. tell you the truth. from what i have seen. if a rabbit is in a good well built hutch. they tend to stay cleaner outside. i keep a wood plank in each hutch that they can stand on. otherwise, all of the rest of bottom of the hutch is wire. the droppings just fall right threw the small mesh. it keeps the rabbits nice and clean and i can just shovel it out into the garden latter. and when i am home i let them run around in a large dog run to play one at a time. this is a pic of one of my larger hutches. you can't tell from this pic, but this hutch has a huge back to it. i have a lionhead in it right now :)
0062_zps64f67a5b.jpg

Hey everyone so my bunnies have been living outside all their lives because my parents won't let me keep them inside because it's to "messy" and "you can't house train a rabbit". I strongly disbelieve this and would love to have them inside, but I am forced to keep them outside and I have to deal with that. I have three rabbits; one large mother, and two dwarfs. I have a large hutch that is open and they all live together. They love eachother because they are the babies of the mother. In the summer I have the most fun times with my bunnies as I get to let them out on the grass in an enclosed pen to graze for hours...they love it :) as long as rabbits are kept warm in the winter and cool in the summer (I've had a rabbit die of heatstroke :'( ) , then it's fine for them to be kept outside. You may also think "well she's just young she probably knows nothing about rabbits" I actually have a lot of experience with them and they are my favourite animals :) thanks for talking with me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back