Attacking new socks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuckWrangler

Reaction score
I've had my rabbit about a month now, and he's adjusting well enough. He has plenty of chew toys and things to explore. He's about 4 months old and not neutered (it's on the agenda later this month). He gets into trouble sometimes, but a squirt from the spray bottle usually gets him to stop.

Except when it comes to my socks.

I wear white socks in the house so my feet don't get cold. This is not a new thing. I've been doing it since I brought him home. My socks were worn out though, so I brought a dozen new pairs and threw the old ones out. Suddenly my rabbit wants to attack my feet! This started the same day I got my new socks. I let him out and am walking around the room in my socks like normal, and he lunges at my feet and latches onto the sock. I try to get away or get him off before he gets ahold of my foot and we have a real problem, but no amount of squirting or pushing away gets him off. I'm not hitting him or anything, just trying to firmly push him away from my foot and the sock. But he just WON'T let go until he lets up and I jump onto a chair and sit with my legs folded up. He actually got ahold of my finger today when I tried to push him away.

Why is he doing this? How can I get this to stop before someone gets hurt?

He's not a white bunny, is he?

I would assume your new socks smell strangely. Have you washed them before wearing them?

Can you put on a pair of slippers in the meantime?

Is he latching on with teeth, or just a really good full body grip? Is he humping your feet when this happens?

(I'm wondering if he thinks your feet are attacking you...:p Seriously though, weirder things go on in their heads than I can say :D)

He's mostly brown, but has a white chest and leg. I did wash them, and haven't changed detergents or anything. And yes, he's latching on with his teeth. Thankfully so far he has only gotten sock.

I called my vet about it and she said wear shoes, and rub the socks on the pillow in his cage and let him get used to them while they are off my feet.

It seems so werid though...They're just white socks! lol

My giant does the same thing...When people get out of the shower and they smell all clean and if they wear beige or white socks he'll actually bite your feet.

Maybe you should get black socks...see what he does to those. Maybe he is just trying to protect you, or maybe the new smells makes him nervous.

^^^ Maybe stuff the sock with cotton balls/with the other sock so it looks more footlike...

That is so funny your boy does the same thing, fuzz16:p very strange....

Yes he does attack them when they're not on my feet. He digs at them and bites them and pulls them around the room. I'm trying to rub them on him before I put them on my feet so maybe they will smell more like him and he won't attack them, but he bit my foot again the other day....

I just stuffed one and left it on the floor for him. He's munching the hay...we'll see if he murders the sock (I kept all of my old ones for my rat to nest with, but Toni won't mind sharing with the rabbit).

Reminds me of Khermann3's Toby--he likes to carry socks around, I think...

This sounds just like Riley with my shoes. I haven't worn my shoes around him in a month or so. I was carrying things in and out and had my shoes on. What a mistake! I got bit on the leg and it's still healing. At the time I kept my shoes on the floor and he would chin them all the time.

Actually today I was near him with my shoes on and he didn't seem to notice them. Maybe it's because he doesn't have access to them anymore.

Latest posts

Back