"Attacked"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethybuns

Reaction score
[align=center]Didn't want to create a whole new thread/post for this but I'm all scared and not sure what to do.

Now I know I'm being a baby about this but my bunny just "attacked" me. I know its my own fault for sticking my hand in her little dome hiding spot but there was poop in it and I wanted to get it out so she didn't have to be laying on it. :c Then she made a little growling noise and attacked my hand. She didn't bit though. She's my first rabbit ever and now I'm extremely scared. xD which is sad since she is so tiny.

What I want to know is if there is something wrong with her? She's never acted like this before.
And can she really hurt me? Like take a chunk out of my finger?

-is scared- I'm so lame.[/align]

I think she was just defending her space and maybe you startled her a bit. I try to clean my rabbits area, especially the things that he really thinks are his - like his bed, when he isn't in them. Otherwise he would grunt and charge at me too. The only time he's actually tried to bite was when he was scared, otherwise I just get the growling/grunting when I'm invading his space. She's probably fine, just letting you know it was her space and please knock before entering or wait until she comes out.

Dont be discouraged. Its like when... if you have brothers or sisters, and you go in their room without asking... they react slightly irrationally :p

just... let em out, before cleaning :)

Oh my goodness - welcome to the teenage phase.

She's probably just fine - but does can be VERY territorial. I forget how long you've had her - but if she's new to you she could've felt threatened to have you enter "her space".

You have to be the "big kahuna" as a former member used to say (he passed away). You have to show her who is boss - do NOT be afraid of her.

If a rabbit does this - I will VERY VERY lightly hold their head down with my hand and say "NO" in a stern voice. (Rabbits will force other rabbits to submit by holding their heads down sometimes - so she will understand this).

You'll be fine!

Sounds like the territorial imperative at work. Or you may have startled her. Either wait till it's vacant, or make sure you have her attention first. Peter is our "champion" rabbit boxer when he feels we're being too invasive.

TinysMom wrote:
Oh my goodness - welcome to the teenage phase.

She's probably just fine - but does can be VERY territorial. I forget how long you've had her - but if she's new to you she could've felt threatened to have you enter "her space".

You have to be the "big kahuna" as a former member used to say (he passed away). You have to show her who is boss - do NOT be afraid of her.

If a rabbit does this - I will VERY VERY lightly hold their head down with my hand and say "NO" in a stern voice. (Rabbits will force other rabbits to submit by holding their heads down sometimes - so she will understand this).

You'll be fine!
It's refreshing to hear someone say this. It seems these days all the forums wantus to become the prey and the rabbits the preditor, it's refreshing and nice to know that people exist out there who love rabbits (and don't want to hurt them of course) but believes in putting them in there place when needs be. I hope I don't become disliked on this forum now for saying this. Let just state I do NOT believe in hurting the rabbits but I do firmly believe in reminding them just who is in charge.

Hehehe I said the same thing in your blog. I believe in treating my pets as I would raise my child. I wouldn't allow my child to become unruly and be a 'spoiled brat' so I wouldn't allow it in my pets either. Just like they have their own hierarchy in their own society, I have mine in my home. They all *think* they rule the house but really they only rule as much as I tolerate to be ruled :winkThis way of doing things has been working out great so far for our family. I understand it may not be everyone's way and I respect that but I certainly wouldn't think you were a bad person either way. :)

I really think that once a rabbit learns its place in the home and some discipline is imposed (I'm not talking about hitting a rabbit/beating a rabbit or hurting a rabbit) - I think they are much happier because they know their limits and feel safe.

Miss Bea was a terror when we got her - open her cage door and she'd run at you charging and growling.

Unfortunately - I'd bred her the second day she was here - so I HAD to get her used to us in her cage.

So for the next month - anytime any of the four of us walked through the rabbitry (which was often) - we'd open her cage door and then ever so lightly hold her head down if she charged and say "no".

She eventually became a doll baby and even when she had babies - I never had to fear putting my hand in her cage.

It takes time and persistence...but its oh so worth it to train your rabbits - especially if later on you have to give them medicine.

Thanks everyone for the replies and yes I also agree that I should be the one in charge and not let her think I will be okay with her lounging at me like that. I will do the thing were I place her head down gently but firmly letting her know I'm not scared, thats if she lounges at me again she hasn't today and I was moving things around in her cage. xD

I'm guessing she's in the teenage phase and unspayed? It's completely normal behavior and you got some good advice. Another option is to wear heavy gloves when you put your hand in and just let her attack - she'll learn that you won't pull back or react when she does that and should hopefully give it up.

Spaying will probably help the most though.

Thanks Laura yes she isnt spayed yet I plan on getting her spayed when shes the right age right now shes only 2 months. Definetily taking your advice on wearing the gloves and letting her attack it.

I would not do that myself?

Surely the glove will have a particular smell and, though she may getdiscouraged with the glove, if you introduce a new hand with a different scent or a new bunny, she will not have been discouraged to bite and may bite to show who is boss? Basically, you are training her to bite until she is convincedthat she is the dominant bunny no?Whereas showing her she isn't the boss of everything means she needs to cool it at times.I would be concerned about anyone else wanting to pet her or introducing a new bunny to her if she's only known that method. Would that not be possible?:)

Nela, I doubt the glove would have a more over powering scent then I would have. It wouldn't be like a scented glove xD if they have those. Wouldn't wearing a glove still have my scent its like putting on a pair of jeans, but on your hands. Lol I think at least. Plus I doubt she would actually bite me, her personality so far doesn't seem like a bitter/that aggressive where she would keep attacking the glove if I were to use one.

I placed my hand in her dome while she was in it again this time I did it will talking to her at the same time and she didn't growl or anything.

I think the first time she growled at me was because I startled her/I think she might have been asleep, and didn't let her know that it was me. It seems that my voice soothes her and reassures her I'm not going to hurt her.

Bethy,

I don't think your bun has been nearly aggressive enough to really need so much work really. I was mainly asking with a more aggressive bunny in mind. Like if someone were volunteering at a shelter and working with a particularly aggressive bunny for example. It's not that the gove would smell stronger, just that it would smell different and even if the bunny learns to ignore one smell, I would wonder if the bunny wouldn't simply try to bite again if a new scent was introduced.

Basically I was asking about the method really. I highly doubt it is necessary with Beth. Hehehe. I just don't see it working with my own bunny Maybelle who is much much more aggressive than your wee one. ;)

Oh I understand what you mean now. ^^ and Yeah I don't think I would have to use that method with Beth since she hasn't been a bugger about me messing with her cage. I think I'll actually stay out of her dome I want her to feel like theres a place for her to call her own and feel 100% safe in it. But as for the rest of her cage, she needs to learn that its hers and I'm just her servant cleaning it/giving her more food. Ha.

Maybelle seems like a crazy little rabbit. I just saw your blog (going to try to read it from the beginning. Ha I'd love to learn more about Maybelle and Smores there both so cute!

I agree that that is the best. You do want to remain respectful so it's good to give them that safe place.

Maybelle is crazy. If you read my blog, you will see that she attacked a chair because it was dripping on her after it rained. :rollseyesI love a challenge and I wouldn't trade her for the world. She most likely won't ever be the cuddle bug but she's made a lot of progress already even though it's taken a lot of work. She's quite a bit more cuddly with Jeff though. She's been attracted to him since her hormones kicked in. Hehehe.

I agree, she's probably getting to that hormonal stage (although it's a little early) and will improve after her spay.

I wouldn't bother with gloves or anything like that really at this stage. It's a one off incident and you stuck your hand in her burrow. That's a pretty overtly aggressive move as a far as a bunny is concerned. It's pretty much the equivalent of opening a casual acquaintances front door, walking into their bedroom and padding their head. By all means don't let let your bun walk all over you (eg try and oust you off your chair or attack when you walk through a room) but I wouldn't say that a bun that was aggressive to someone invading their home was trying to be too dominant. A rabbit needs to feel safe and that means we give them an area of their own, a cage or a box or the gap under the sofa. It's a little mean to turn around and say, 'actually that space is mine too, and I can kick you out when I want'.

In future, I would just call her out of her den when interacting. Teaching her to come when called is great stimulation for her and will help you build a bond :)

Once she's neutered and has less of a drive to defend her territory, she may be happier to allow you to share her private space.

Latest posts

Back