Attacked!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[r o s i e]

Reaction score
My friend's bunny, Dexter, is an outdoor bunny and he was in his run outside. When my friend came to check on him, there was blood everywhere and Dexters foot was all cut up and broken. The next day they took him to a vet and he had 4 toes amputated and now has a cast. Now they are keeping him inside. Is there anything my friend can do to help him? And he is young (a little over 2 months) so will he heal alright?

Thanks!

I would think that with them getting him to the vet quickly that he should be fine. Most times young bones will heal better than older ones. It's also a good thing they brought him inside, because whatever got him will most likely be back now that it knows he is there.

If the bun was attacked by another animal he should be getting intensive treatment, antibiotics , IV fluids , etc. Look what happened to Pipp's scooter after a cat bite.

This set-up outside is totally unacceptable for a rabbit this age (or any age)and gentle giants is right the predator will be back to finish off the bun.
Please ask the owner to consider keeping her bun inside and/or building an acceptable outdoor run that is covered and reinforced against any predators.

Im so glad to hear hes going to be safe inside now. Tell your friend to keep an eye on the wound to be sure theres no signs of infection. Rabbits can easily get something called an abscess when there is an infection and it will swell up with pus (white and thick and smelly). I would keep an eye on him and keep him hydrated. Did they give him pain medicine? That must hurt the little guy :(

Back