Arthritis Pain, Metacam and Adequan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyRabbits

Reaction score
I have a nearly 8-year-old Dutch rabbit. About three or four months ago, I noticed that she had something similar to fallen arches in her feet -- more of her paw reached flat out on the ground before she hopped on over it. But it did not seem to cause her pain. Last weekend, however, she couldn't get up on her own, but once I set her on her feet, she stretched out her hind legs and was able to hop away. I took her into the vet, and she thought probably there was some arthritis pain. She prescribed metacam every other day for pain since some of her liver enzymes are elevated and metacam is metabolized by the liver, and she also prescribed injectible Adequan, a substance approved for use in horses and dogs. It is supposed to help the cartilage. She gets a small amount twice a week for four weeks and then apparently forever once a week.

I was wondering whether anybody else had experience with Adequan and what they noticed after it had been used for awhile.

Latest posts

Back