Ariella and her eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
So as you all know, a few months ago I took Ariella in to have her eye checked. It was a corneal ulcer. It was confirmed with a stain test. The vet told me there was a chance that the scar could heal with cortisone drops and I decided to try it in case it helped make her vision less blurry. It didn't do anything and I let her be.

Ariella's eye is now bright blue? Well not bright bright but it's clearly a ble color. It looks watery but it isn't. Is that supposed to be happening? Why did it suddenly become blue like that?

Yeah I will. She did see her not long ago and said something along the lines of "I see the cortisone didn't work" but that's it. It's gotten more blue since. :?Maybe someone will have had experience with this?

I'm not liking that my buns aren't well :(It's all happening at the same time. I've never had so many problems before. :?

Did the vet have any idea why she had a corneal ulcer? My kitten Lily had one during her first bad flare-up of feline herpes (viral eye infection). It cleared up with some eye ointment that kept her eye lubricated and prevented secondary bacterial infections. Essentially, it was triple antibiotic ointment for eyes.

My best friend and I, had a cat when we lived together who had feline herpes of the eye and after diagnosis (which took 3 vets and and opthomalogist tofigure it out to the tune of $1900) that along with theextreme expense of the RX drugs, we found that if you give them L-Lysiene (spelling might be off) a supplement that anyone can take - it has kept his herpes at bay in his eye; not sure if rabbits respond the same OR that its safe to give buns (newbie bun owner so take this with a grain of salt until you hear otherwise) - but for his eye problems it was a $8 a month fix to a $160 RX monthly vet bill..

Thinking of you as I've been where you are and hope you'll get to the solution. Also, please let me know whats working and not, as I see so many threads of the "unknown" problem and Bun not eatingand if you find something that works, it may help another slave..

Good luck and there in spirit with you..

I have a huge concern here. Isn't cortisonea steroid? I don't think that ulcers are treated with steroids. It can make things worse, if I remember correctly. Ulcers are very uncomfortable and pain meds should be used. I use regular abx drops. And I use a drug called Acetylcysteine as an eye drop to hele rebuild the cornea.

Randy

How is little Ariella doing now? Poor girl. If what Randy said is correct, I hope Ariella hasn't been in pain! :(

Sorry Randy, I forgot to explain. You are absolutely correct about not putting cortisone on an unhealed ulcer. I had been putting polysporin because it took about a week or so before I could see her vet and so when I went, with the stain test, she saw that it was indeed an ulcer but that it had healed over. She said that we would never put cortisone on an eye that isn't healed but Ariella's was ok. I waited two days more like she told me before I started it. It didn't work and though I had some left, I just didn't bother Ariella with it. It hadn't been guaranteed anyway so I figured she'd scar and that'd be it. That was in february-Marchbutnow it's blue. Maybe it was turning blue since but I didn't notice much? I don't know, it just looks more noticeable now for some reason.

I tried calling but the vet wasn't in today so will have to try again.

I also wanted to add, I haven't freaked out about it because she hasn't acted as though it bothers her at all. No tearing, no squinting, nothing. I just wonder why it is the way it is. I wouldnt want to leave it unattended if it is a problem which is why I am asking you guys :p

010-6.jpg

Hmmm yeah, it really is blue :?i thought I might be going nuts or somethingbut you can see it in the pic... Please keep in mind that the vet did in fact see her not long ago when I took the girls in for their syphillis so don't smack me. It has been bugging me which is why i posted here in the first place.

Latest posts

Back