Are you having trouble to find a place to live too?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weetwoo_89

Reaction score
Alrightie then. Welcome to the "Rachel has problems and wants to complain about them to someone" show.

The search for an apartment continues. I am actually seeking residence with my boyfriend. I know that most people straight out of highschool that move in with significant others have a tough time. I believe that it won't be as big a deal for us, because we have been living together for four years(due to a seriousissue with his living situation with hisfamily. So not going into it right now) in my mother's house.But now my mother has said that he can no longer live here (something about me being 18 now and boys and I don't really know. Supposedly "You will understand when you are a parent." And I just can't sleep in my bed knowing that he is crashing on someone's couch or in his car. I just can't. So the answer is to find an apartment. BUT...

I have no credit. He has TERRIBLE credit. This is just the begining of my pitiful tale. So he has terrible credit. If I put him on the lease, I will be likely not to get the place. If I don't put him on the lease, one of two things(possibly both): 1. I don't look like I have a job that pays enough for me to get by alone and 2. we will both end up out on our ears if someone figures out he is living in the apartment off lease. So that is super fun(sarcasm). BUT...

If I could get someone in my family who would co-sign with methat would be super. But since nobody is really 'down' with the "Rachel leaving her mommy's house" plan, that is kind of difficult. SO...

I am thinking about consulting my birth father and using his small vendetta against my mother and his well-paying job to my advantage. The only problem with that is that my father has an issue withwith my boyfriend ( nobody seems to care that I am happy with him. Possibly a "You're 18, you don't know what you want. When you finally do know what you want, you will be tooold to use it! ")due to his personal religious among other orientation choices... So that leaves a couple of options. I can tell my father nothing about Brian. But that is more deceitful then I like to be, and secondly, then my father will try to live with me. Not really down for that either (he has a good taste in music, but we disagree in a whole lot). ALSO...

Then another option. I have an aunt who lives in a three bedroom condo fairly close to where I need to be. She would probably rent a room to me. Possibly even be okay with Brian living there too. Problem? She is disabled from a surgery gone a-wry, married toa man whose child is already grown, and both would be about as happy to have us intruding on their space as we would be to theirs. WHAT NOW???

The next obvious choice would be a roommate with good credit to help mine and Brian's pitiful "no/bad" credit issue. I am not down for living with strangers (that is why Brian's credit is terrible. He trusted some people that he might not ought to have trusted *definitly shouldn't have trusted*. Anywho, sad to say,most of his friends are moochers (you know, people who expect you to take care of them financially?) and most of my friend's are too young to be of assistance. I actually had one friend, a perfect fit for a roommate. But Her boyfriend was not having it, and since I didn't want to strain their relationship, I left well-enough alone. THAT LEAVES ME AND HIM...

In limbo. The best option I can come up with is that we save money as quickly as possible. I figure if we have enough for 3-4 month's rent in advance, that might offset our credit issues a bit.

I guess I just want comments, opinons, advice. If you are going through a similar situation, trying to find a place, share with me. If you couldn't find a place for a long time, but finally have, give me a bit of inspiration. If you think I am an idiot for wanting to move out with this guy...keep it to yourself, please (the last thing I can handle right now is more people raggin on my boyfriend. My family does that enough for everyone.) Though you might say that there must be a reason that my dislikes him. I think it is an illegitimate reason, but I know why they think that (my ex was richer then god, and my family, being poor thought that it was an amazing thing. But I wasn't happy. Then I got with a guy who has no money just like us. I mean, I understand wanting your children to have things, but not at the cost of their happiness. At least in my opinion...). I have weighed it, and I have made my decision. I just wish my family was a bit more supportive. But I digress.

XOX, Rachel

Rachel, you may not like my advice but here it is. You need to fix the credit issues before finding your own place. If you have no credit history, you need to start one and make it good. Applying for a low balance credit card, using it sparingly and paying it off immeduiately is one way to do that.

You need to look at why your boyfriends credit is terrible. If it's from not paying bills or being constantly late, there is a huge big red warning light there. Having very bad credit at a young age can screw you over for the rest of your life. He needs to go to a consumer credit counseling (these are free) and learn how to fix the problem. If he doesn't deal with it now, he will have decades of problems and not being able to have a placeto live, get transportation and even have trouble getting jobs. Yes, most employers these days run credit checks on prospective employees.

As for not telling a landlord or your dad about another person in the household, that's just asking for trouble and you could find yourself evictedin no time with even worse problems on your record. Personally I would never co-sign for any relative, no matter how close, who had terrible credit until they got the issue straightened out. That's way too much financial liability.

Well no advice except be honest. Things can bit you on the behind faster than you know.

I myself have no credit. My husband has good credit. If it wasn't for him we more than likely would have had a hard time getting a place.

I know everyone says to try for the cards...Uh I have been turned down because I have no credit....:grumpy:

I totally agree with Seniorcats, AMEN , to that. Your credit is sssssssoooooooooo important, I have excellent credit and pride myself on having such good credit. Credit is so key in so many things, it can affect the mortgage rate you get down the line, and other interest rates. You need to start getting your credit by doing what seniorcats said get a credit card and start building your credit, and while you are doing that your boyfriend should really get his credit straightened out. I am going to assume that at such a young age that his credit problems are going to be from going delinquint on accounts , if that is the case then he needs to contact these places, if he doesnt know all the accounts he can get a credit report and contact them that way. Contact all his debtors and start making arrangments on paying back, and paying ontime his debt to them.

When going for my first house my husband had medical billsfrom when he was younger, he was jumped and had his jaw broken and in trying to get victims assistance and such for the outstanding bills they went delinqint and then he had to pay them. He wasnt good at all about paying them, in fact he was so mad that he couldnt get help with them he didnt pay them. Well we moved in together and I wanted to get this straightened out, so i contacted them and we made payment arrangments, there were two accounts, one of the accounts the people were amazing and i sent extra if i could , the other account the man was an idiot and only got the bare minimum, so anyway what i am saying is that they are willing to work with you. Collectors can not refuse to take your payments, so even paying them monthly a set amount and paying it ontime will show up in a credit report. We went to buy our first house and still had these collections on his credit report but it did show that we were making payments on a regular basis and they were on time. Now fast forward to years later and his credit is straightened out, thanks to me, and we both have great credit!!!!!!!

http://www.freecreditreport.com/ I am pretty sure this is the site you get them from. They tell you to get one every three months instead of all at once. There are three different credit report agencies so if you get one every three months you are able to keep an eye on your credit all year round.

Also they say to get it for your kids too cause more and more kids idenities are getting stolen.

oh Jade there are other ways to get your credit in order to get you a credit card and that is get one of those pre paid credit cards from your bank. It is basically your money that you are freezing and using but! it helps you to establish credit that way then once you do that for say 6months then apply for a credit card and see if you get one that way.

Also people have to watch out for applying for too manyt hings because that comes up as hits on your credit and people like mortgage companies see that , and other people checking your credit.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
http://www.freecreditreport.com/ I am pretty sure this is the site you get them from. They tell you to get one every three months instead of all at once. There are three different credit report agencies so if you get one every three months you are able to keep an eye on your credit all year round.

Also they say to get it for your kids too cause more and more kids idenities are getting stolen.
I dont want to end up paying for something which looks like after the free trail you do pay. For that I could use the one that comes through my bank.

i will find out the other one , there is one that is free credit reports all the time you never pay i will have to find the right link if that is not the one.

no one should ever pay for a credit report because you one free , from each credit reporting agency, every year!!!! I will find out for you though

I agree about getting your credit fixed first.....get a prepaid credit card if need be....or save up $500 and go to the bank and ask to take out a $500 loan and use that as collateral (sp?).

Your credit will affect even the rate you pay for electricity (or at least it does here in Tx) and it will affect how much of a deposit you need for your utilities.

I think if you're going to do this - you ought to have at least $3,000 - $5,000 in savings because depending upon where you work.....your hours could be cut and your income could drop...or you could have an emergency happen (maybe your car breaks down)....you will need an emergency fund as backup so that you don't have to turn to credit cards, etc.

Good luck.

Yup I remember this same problem w/my parents - the only twists were that I was 16 andmoving in with my boyfriend of 4 years,who had his own house.. I did do it and on my 18th birthday I found myself at the laundry mart (we didn't have a washer or a dryer) and I looked at my reflection in the dryer and thought "I'm 18 years old and playing the housewife role".. I moved back in with my parents thefollowing week.

Your 18 - you should a) not tie yourself down to 1 boyfriend; b) you should be thinking of college or trade school to better -just - yourself; or c) you can keep Brian as the boyfriend and doesn't he have a friend that he can move in with?

I'm sure Brian is a great guy, but honestly most likely your not going to be together forever.. Wait until your in your 20's to even think about settling down with someone. I'm so glad I did what I did (moving back home to my parents) your Parents I am sure want the best for you and they obviously did care for Brian - perhaps they just think it is time that he learn to stand on his own 2 feet.

Best of luck to you and Brian, please keep posting on how it goes and I'll be here to support you. Julie

Hi i am 19 and moved into a apartment with my boyfriend at 17 who is now husband

Anyway the best advice I can give is save for a few months cause no matter what kind of money you think you have you dont. I am telling you fron experence. I am only 19 remember that. I walked out of my house with 10,000 dolors in the bank and a car well the car broke down I lost my job all in the same month needless to say. Stuff happens. That money went quick.

I will say it like this we right at this moment bring home around 1800 a month due to me being in college full time I dont work but 20 hours a week at a vets office.

heres my bill list

rent 560

phone 250 that is cell by the way

internet 70

gas 300

food bill 100

credit for animals 250

insurance for both cars 250 due to age

thing for personal hygene 40 a month

vet bills 50 to 250 a month depending on who is due for what

electric 125 a month

Put it this way mom does buy a lot you do not relize it adds up quick save money be prepared

I did not listen and we are just now bouncing back from everything. It will take you at least six months for you and your boyfriend to work everything money food and other things wise to work out. Find a low rent or stay at home for now I will say it can work. but sit down and work things out first

I pay $825...$850 come June for rent.

I love that My cell company merged with my housephone/DS company. Now it is all on one bill and a little discount because of it. That is $150.

My gas bill is $45-$55 a month.

My light is $80-$120 a month.

That is just your basics. Not food, gas, etc...

Hi there!

I just graduated from highschool last June, and moved in with my long term boyfriend in September. And actually, no one gave us even the slighest weird look because we were both 18. It was a bit difficult, especially finding a place that accepted pets.

Rent is $800. Internet/Cable bill $70. All other utilities are included in rent. Pets $200. Food $300. Transportation (I take the bus) $73. Gas for my boyfriend $160.

And because we were both 18, we got pre paid credit cards at Safeway. Now Vince is 19, and was able to get a credit card.

I hope everything works out for you, and that you'll find a place!

Rachel.....Ryan is 18 and I am 19, we just got our first 3 bedroom house on April 1st. Yeah, Ryan's mom co-signed with every thing (but she doesn't pay anything) and we have great & steady jobs in a rising company. We aren't rich, but we aren't poor. I normally have $200 or a tad more every two weeks for spending money on random food (like an "ice cream run" to the store, ect), clothes, animal stuff, ect....and I am still fine and have money left over. Ryan also has the same amount normally, so we have roughly $800 spending money each month.

For emergencies with the animals, I have a Capital One credit card with a good amount of a money limit on there. I never use the credit card for anything else. Okay, I lied...I put a new rat cage on there last week :p.

I will admit that we did rush into getting this house because if we didn't, then we probably would have lost it. It is a great house and in a great location. My animal children aren't an issue here either, which is why this place is so sweet, lol. In other words, we don't have much money in savings right now, bleh.

It's all about managing your money ;).

If you have ANY questions or need any support on this...please send me a PM :).

Latest posts

Back