Are they still marking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkiddle

Reaction score
I've had Millie for over a month and they are (or seem to be!) completely bonded. I've left them together for over two weeks now and nothing has started between them. They aren't always together; sometimes one will be laying on the other side of the room. But I see grooming and playing, lots of purring, and no aggressive behavior, so I'm assuming they are bonded. They seem to get closer each day.

However, they are still marking like crazy---or I think that's what it is. I don't know who is doing it, or if they're both doing it, but every time I walk into their closet, there is another mess. I was using vinegar to get it out of the carpet, then I just bought some gym floor tiles to protect the carpet and it seems to be working fine with a quick paper-towel wipe up. But why aren't they using their box all the time? I see them in it occasionally, (one at a time,) so that's why I can't tell who is doing it! Has anybody else had this problem?

Should I give them more time or what? I used to have two litter boxes in their cage, but I removed one after it wasn't being used at all. They seem to prefer the one I kept, so I just assumed they would use it. Should I try a larger litter box? They never seem to want to potty at the same time.

Also, this is mostly happening near their food dishes. They are going as they eat/drink. I can't tell who is doing it as they both take turns at different bowls, usually taking the amount of pellets they're used to. This isn't happening at all outside of their closet cage where their litter box and food dishes are (except for a few stray poos.)

Any suggestions? Sorry for the long post!

well, going where they eat is pretty much what bunns do - they get distracted by food and don't bother hiking to an inconvenient (by their lazy terms) litter-box. I've been meaning to get my two a bigger litterbox - when they're both eating hay, usually only one of them ends up sitting in the corner litter box and as a result they've established a secondary pee corner beside the box.

I would try a bigger box and setting up their food bowls in a way that encourages them to have their butts in the box when they're eating.

I agree with the above. With more than 1 rabbit you need 2 litter boxes at least and a litter box that can house both of them at the same time.

Latest posts

Back