Are single buns lonely buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj82

Reaction score
I have one bun and I have him out for quite a few hours a day. He is very tame and chills out with my dogs. Is he ok or should he have a friend?

I think they can be happy if they know nothing else, and there are some rabbits who reject the company of other rabbits, but I admit I tend to prefer a bonded pair. My first two rabbits were separate for three years because my boy couldn't be neutered for health reasons up to that point and while separately they were happy enough, together they were an absolute riot. They were an amazing double team and I have wonderful memories of their antics. I definitely think all of my rabbits have been happiest bonded.

Each bun is an individual just like people. Some people love to have lots of friends/family around & others don't mind not having people around too much. This is my prospective with only a year & a half as a bunny owner (of two Jersey wooly sisters) so I will defer to those with more experience than myself. If you spend a good bit of quality time with your bunny & he/she is active & enjoying bunny life with you then he/she is probably okay with being an only bun. I think as an only bun parent, you need to spend more time playing with & providing more toys & exercise than someone with two or more buns to keep each other company.

This might seem silly, but when we first got our Polish Mason we told someone he might be lonely and they said put in a stuffie. And yes he loves his stuffie. It's a white fox that is small. Now he free roams and is ok with being the only bun. But we make sure he is loved and we all spend time with him. He isn't afraid of our pit bull. We do have a gate that separates his area from the cats and dog. But the cats can easily go in his area. We lock him up at night. I have a 7 month old cat and she's still very much a kitten. But so far all good.

depends on the bunny... I've some buns who like other rabbits, and others who prefer to be as far away from other rabbits as possible. Some like being with guinea pigs, and others want complete solitude. Get to know your bun. If he seems content, he more than likely is. :)

I've had my Netherland Dwarf for about a month, and he seems happy to be a solo bun. I've been toying with the idea of getting him a female friend, after he's neutered and his hormones have subsided, depending on how/if his behaviour changes after the neutering. I'm stuck between wondering if he'll be happy to have a companion, or if he'll feel like I replaced him, or if they'll love each other and ignore me! :p

Yep, they can be very content and happy being single buns. Being a breeder all of my rabbits are kept separated because they are unaltered. My bucks are perfectly happy being alone but I do have some doe's that prefer to be on litter because they enjoy having other rabbits around. If they are raised alone they will take to their care taker and will bond with them and they will be perfectly happy. Rabbits can be happy alone or together. In the wild a lot of times they travel alone and when they go back to the burrow they are with other rabbits. However they do have their own "sleeping quarters" that they sleep in. So it depends on your rabbit and how they respond to being alone. Some just don't like it, others love being alone. Get to know your rabbit a little more to see if he is content:)

I believe that rabbits are an animal that can do very well solo or as part of a bonded pair or trio. And, as others have already stated, it really does depend on the individual personality of the bunny. In the past, raising 4H bunnies and having breeding projects, I was unable to keep multiple buns together because they were unaltered. They did well on their own as long as they were given adequate attention and exercise. Conversely, having house rabbits, I've also had bonded pairs and trios. They loved one another and it was obvious that they were happy having companions. It really is dependent on the situation and the bunny.

Going forward, I am planning on bringing one bunny into my home. I have a small apartment and my landlord has given the okay for one rabbit. If I threw another at her, I don't know if she would be open to the idea. So, unless something changes and she gives me more freedom in that regard, I'll be looking for a more independent bun. I have a lot of time and energy to devote to my future rabbit and know that a solo bunny will do well if in the right situation. That's one of the best things about rabbits - they are versatile.

So, to answer your questions, I don't think there are any shoulds when it comes to whether bunnies should be singletons or bonded to another rabbit or two. Bonding is an option if your bunny is altered and open to it. But, that being said, not all are. And, not every bunny needs or even wants a friend (besides their owner, of course). Good luck with whatever you decide, but know there are no absolutes when it comes to this issue.

Thank you everyone for the fantastic replies. Bobby seems happy, he is always doing binky jumps and running around . When he is on the bed with me he falls asleep and he often grinds his teeth! He chases the cat around and plays happily with the doggies. I will get some more photos tonight x

Most rabbits tend to appreciate having a bonded companion, though there are exceptions. When debating a second bunny, an important thing to consider is whether you're prepared for twice the food bills, twice the vet bills, twice the potential for emergency vet bills, etc. If you're not absolutely sure you're prepared to commit to a second bunny for 10 years, you shouldn't feel like you *need* to get another one just to make your current bunny happy - getting him a companion should be something you feel is right for everyone in your household, not JUST him ;). That said, they are really adorable in pairs (or more)... especially when they roll up into the room like a squad and stare everyone down, lol.

I say yes. I have 8 rabbits. 4 bonded, 2 bonded, and 2 seperate lone bunnies who are perfectly happy being single bunnies. I tried to bond the 2 singles with somebun but they stayed in a corner and the others bullied them and wouldn't let them come out of wherever they were at the moment so I seperated and both changed completely. They run, binkied, and did lots of flops. The are so much happier not being with another bunny. One of the post here stated bunnies are like people and I 100% agree. Some bunnies just want to be with their human and they are just fine with that. My Kristopher thinks I'm his wifebun.

I have a few questions regarding multiple buns, if that's okay...

• If one is introduced later, can the first bun feel like it wasn't good enough and has been 'replaced', even if they bond? Or am I overestimating the emotions of buns? :p
  • If the buns aren't able to be successfully bonded, how do they go about sharing space? Just requiring separate xpens, or completely separate rooms?
  • Can bonding change the personality of the buns prior to their bond? My Felix is excitable, not super cuddly or affectionate; if I happened to get a second bunny who was more of a snugglebutt, might she bring that out in him at all?
  • Will bonded bunnies pay less attention to their humans?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I've been tossing around the idea of getting a second bunny, but I've gotta weigh up the pros and cons. :) I'm completely okay with the costs of raising two, just need to figure out if it's a good idea for Felix. He's not yet neutered, so I'll be having that done and waiting a month for his hormones to subside to see how his personality is after that, before I decide for certain.

Yep, they can be very content and happy being single buns. Being a breeder all of my rabbits are kept separated because they are unaltered. My bucks are perfectly happy being alone but I do have some doe's that prefer to be on litter because they enjoy having other rabbits around. If they are raised alone they will take to their care taker and will bond with them and they will be perfectly happy. Rabbits can be happy alone or together. In the wild a lot of times they travel alone and when they go back to the burrow they are with other rabbits. However they do have their own "sleeping quarters" that they sleep in. So it depends on your rabbit and how they respond to being alone. Some just don't like it, others love being alone. Get to know your rabbit a little more to see if he is content:)

Actually, I think that having rabbits housed in close proximity to each other can help curb loneliness, even if they can't get along in the same cage, which is good news for bonds that never work out.

Having a bonded buddy will add something to your rabbit's life, but single buns are often happy buns too. Never get another rabbit for the first rabbit--only get another rabbit if YOU WANT another rabbit.

I have a few questions regarding multiple buns, if that's okay...

• If one is introduced later, can the first bun feel like it wasn't good enough and has been 'replaced', even if they bond? Or am I overestimating the emotions of buns? :p
  • If the buns aren't able to be successfully bonded, how do they go about sharing space? Just requiring separate xpens, or completely separate rooms?
  • Can bonding change the personality of the buns prior to their bond? My Felix is excitable, not super cuddly or affectionate; if I happened to get a second bunny who was more of a snugglebutt, might she bring that out in him at all?
  • Will bonded bunnies pay less attention to their humans?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I've been tossing around the idea of getting a second bunny, but I've gotta weigh up the pros and cons. :) I'm completely okay with the costs of raising two, just need to figure out if it's a good idea for Felix. He's not yet neutered, so I'll be having that done and waiting a month for his hormones to subside to see how his personality is after that, before I decide for certain.

1. You are overestimating the feelings of buns. Like, way overestimating LOL.
Rabbits CAN get jealous, but they aren't having inner conversations with themselves about their feelings and what a new rabbit means.
2. Separate enclosures, letting them out for exercise separately. If they fight through the bars of their cages, then you will need to move the other out of the room while they are out exercising
3. Yes, rabbits can change the personality of the old rabbit, and teach him new habits. I have heard of rabbits learning to be more affectionate toward humans from another rabbit. I had Tank on his own for several years--when I brought home Mulder and Scully, he became more adventurous, hoping around all the time like they do, instead of sitting in the corner of his cage, like he always used to lol. They've also taught him to play tossing games with toys. He's even better about using the litter box since they came along. But I've also heard of rabbits learning bad behaviors from other rabbits--sometimes buns that weren't diggers learn to be from new rabbits, start rattling their cages, etc.
4. No, I've never heard of this happening.

The advice on Herr is really good. I don't want another bun as I would be lucky to get one as chilled as Bobby. He seems totally happy so I will monitor that and so long as that doesn't change I will just have him. I would be concerned if I got another bun and they didn't get on. I wouldn't have the space to get s second cage and I wouldn't be able to let them both run free. X x

1. You are overestimating the feelings of buns. Like, way overestimating LOL.
Rabbits CAN get jealous, but they aren't having inner conversations with themselves about their feelings and what a new rabbit means.
2. Separate enclosures, letting them out for exercise separately. If they fight through the bars of their cages, then you will need to move the other out of the room while they are out exercising
3. Yes, rabbits can change the personality of the old rabbit, and teach him new habits. I have heard of rabbits learning to be more affectionate toward humans from another rabbit. I had Tank on his own for several years--when I brought home Mulder and Scully, he became more adventurous, hoping around all the time like they do, instead of sitting in the corner of his cage, like he always used to lol. They've also taught him to play tossing games with toys. He's even better about using the litter box since they came along. But I've also heard of rabbits learning bad behaviors from other rabbits--sometimes buns that weren't diggers learn to be from new rabbits, start rattling their cages, etc.
4. No, I've never heard of this happening.
Thank you very much! All the answers I was hoping to hear, too. :)

Actually, I think that having rabbits housed in close proximity to each other can help curb loneliness, even if they can't get along in the same cage, which is good news for bonds that never work out.

Having a bonded buddy will add something to your rabbit's life, but single buns are often happy buns too. Never get another rabbit for the first rabbit--only get another rabbit if YOU WANT another rabbit.

All of my rabbits are happy and binky daily;)

Our first rabbit, Commander Bun-Bun was very content being alone. She got plenty of time out and was always around us. We tried bonding her a couple of times, but she was an attack bunny and didn't want anyone in her "house".

Also in my experience the bigger the pack the easier it is to introduce a new bun. They seem not to notice as much when a new member is added. :bunny19

Also in my experience the bigger the pack the easier it is to introduce a new bun. They seem not to notice as much when a new member is added. :bunny19
Hahaha.... now I'm just envisioning a little gang of bunnies running around and causing trouble. :p

Latest posts

Back