Are single buns alright?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simply_Love

Reaction score
As some of you may know, more than likely next summer a friend is moving to the UK, and leaving her bun to me. The plan was to have her spayed, take her on a few bunny dates, and adopt a whoever she seemed to like the most to be her companion. I was talking to my mom today about our probable new addition, and she agreed to let me have her, but she didn't want me getting another.

I will be spaying her immediantly regardless, but is it alright for her to be a lone bun for a year until I move out and am able to get her a friend? My mother may change her mind, she seemed to be in an annoyed mood today, but if she doesn't I want to be sure the bun will be okay alone for a time.

Her cage will be in my room, and I spend most of my time in there during the school year, so besides when I'm asleep/at school, she won't be alone most of the time. I have rats as well, so aside from their 2 to 3 hour play and interaction time(depending on how long they want to be out for) she'll have freerange of my room. Probably from about 3pm till around 10 or 11 pm(minus rattie time) on school nights, and the majority of the day on weekends. Do you think that will be okay?

I want to be sure to do right by her, and if it is best for her to have a friend immediantly, I'll work with my local rabbit rescue to adopt her out to a multi-bun home.

From a look around on here, it seems many people have lone buns, but I don't know if that'sdue to their buns not wanting company or being aggressive towards other buns. I googled it as well, and got mixed answers

My Flemmie, Tony, lives alone. He seems perfectly content with this arrangement. He does have at least an hour to an hour and a half out of his cage daily and spends alot of time getting lovings from myself and the rest of my family, especially my oldest son who adores Tony.
I think mostly it depends on how much time you will have to spend with her. Also remember that just because you think she needs a mate doesn't mean she will think the same way. Lol.

I think as long as you have the time to give your bun attention, your bun will be happy. It sounds like you will have time to spend with your bun. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would make sure to give her lots of things to keep her busy when you are gone, like toys and carboard boxes to play in.

So it's not like with rats where people will say,"Oh, they're fine alone, just play with them everyday," even though anyone knowledgable about rats knows rats need atleast one friend? That makes me feel better. I was worried she be depressed if she was alone.

No, not like rats. I think some buns love other buns, some don't.
If she hasn't lived with other rabbits before I'd say she will be perfectly fine with you as her bondmate. In fact she may become more bonded to you because you are her only companion.

BTW- I did want to say that I think it's great that you are researching this far ahead of having her with you! I commend you on that. I wish I had done a little more research myself on feeding but can't go back now. Because of your research you will be better prepared for her arrival and she will be a very lucky bun!

Aww thank you! I'm hoping I'll be 100% prepared when she arrives :) I guess I'll keep her as a solo bun then. Once I move out, I'll do a few "bunny dates" with her to see how she responds to other rabbits, but if she seems uninterested, I'll just keep her as a solo. Thank you! :)

My bunny lives alone and he seems just fine. He gets lots of loves from me and plenty of out of cage playtime each day. I've thought about getting him a friend but I dont' know if I want to go through the bonding process. So for now Gimpy just has me and he seems fine with that :)

My first bunny, Grace was an only bun, and she was my best friend. She and I were the bonded pair, and spent a lot of time together. When she passed and I wanted another rabbit, I knew I didn't have the same amount of time as I used to, so I got a pair of bunnies.

In my experience, if the bunny has always been on her own, they don't know any different, and as long as they have toys and interaction with you, they'll be fine on their own.

If you don't have the time to spend with the bunny on a daily basis, then look into a friend for it. If your friend has has the bunny on its own at present, then it will probably be used to it's own company, and the company of it's human and be able to entertain itself with toys. Make sure you know how the friend and the rabbit interact, so the bunny doesn't feel like it's lost it's best friend, when she moves away.

Grace used to love playing with a tissue box, and would push it back and forwards to me, so we would play games together. She would also lie next to it when I wasn't around. I tried her with a stuffed toy, and she couldn't care less. I don't know if the box reminded her of playtime or me, but it had a role in her life.

The pair of bunnies I have now are a lot less interested in toys, and neither of them show the slightest bit of interest in any type of box, or will play with me as such. They fill this need in each others lives, and don't need me as much. They still show me affection, but it's not the same as with Grace.

I never wanted a second bun with Grace, and she never seemed to be lacking for anything, or seemed to be lonely, and was vocal and interactve with me and her toys.

Good luck with your new bunny!

I have some single buns and other buns in groups or pairs. I really think it comes down to the individual bun. I have a couple who absolutely HAVE to have a friend can absolutely can't do without, and I have some who are very clearly happy alone and happy being surrounded by people.

If this girl is used to being alone then I think she will be fine. Just keep her stimulated with different toys in her cage and different types of toys too, for when you are out.

I also agree, kudos to you for doing your research :)

Back