Are rabbits territorial?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimosa

Reaction score
Harriet is a 7 month old mini lop. She's scheduled for spaying next Thursday and, while I was anxious at first, now I can't wait because I hope it will fix this new and unpleasant behavior pattern.

To start with, I was out of town all week and she stayed with her "godparents" for five days and with my mother for three. I know she's been stressed and I've been trying not to expect her to be as lovey with me as she usually is/was, but many of these behaviors started before I left.

A few weeks ago she started biting whenever I would reach into her cage to give her water bowl. She doesn't like water bottles so I have no choice but to reach in. It didn't happen every time and I figured I'd just start putting her water and food in her cage when she was off getting into other things.

Now she starts grunting and head butting when I just open the door for her.

On Sunday, I reached down to pet her ears, something she loves, and she struck me in the thumb almost drawing blood. Still, that evening she wanted her daily ear message.

She's ignored me for two days now unless I get near her and then she starts grunting and thumping her back leg.

This morning I got about four Cheerios and tried to sit with her thinking maybe she just needed some attention, but she kept attacking my hand, so I got up and left her alone.

She also recently started humping my leg and my poor dog.

Will spaying help this? How do I undo this behavior if spaying isn't the quick fix?

She really needs spayed. It may take a couple weeks for the hormones to drain out of the system.

Until then, don't let her scare you off with the biting or she will learn that gets her what she wants. Wear gloves if you have to, but don't let her win.

One thing that might help until the hormones stop is to start putting the food & water bowls in slightly different positions. It's supposed to help, I guess by splitting up the idea of the food or water & a specific place they feel they must defend from someone who's trying to steal it. At least that's what the hormones are telling them.

Latest posts

Back