Are rabbits secretive about drinking water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdc7267

Reaction score
Hi my rabbit Smudge I have only once seen him drink water and I was wondering if they don't like ppl watching them while they drink water thx

Not really, I don't think. If you are feeding him lots of veggies he'll get most of his moisture from them and would drink less water.

Also some rabbits do not like drinking from bottles, so if you think that could be a problem consider providing a heavy bowl of water he can't tip over.

As long as his pees aren't sludgey or very dark, he's getting enough fluid, even if you aren't catching him drinking much. :)

Not mine, you can hear them loudly drinking from their bottle and see the volume going down. As for bottle or bowl, depends on the rabbit. I tried originally both, but they gravitated to the bottle and hardly touch the bowl. In the end it proved to be less messy and I only have a bowl for them in their play area.

Hi my rabbit Smudge I have only once seen him drink water and I was wondering if they don't like ppl watching them while they drink water thx
---at first reading-thought this was too funny to be serious,---however--rabbits can see 360 degrees,-(concentric vision)-in color-and they know by instinct -we are predators,--so,-yes you could be righter than you know,--my bunz like a hiding spot for sleeping during the daylight hours--and get startled when I am cleaning around them,--so try to humor them and arrange food water accordingly..--sincerely james waller
:humour::thankyou::surrender

Not mine, you can hear them loudly drinking from their bottle and see the volume going down. As for bottle or bowl, depends on the rabbit. I tried originally both, but they gravitated to the bottle and hardly touch the bowl. In the end it proved to be less messy and I only have a bowl for them in their play area.
---i offer both crocks-(bowl)-and bottle,--i have great concern for the bottle--due to their failure, heavy bowls do not fail..--sincerely james waller :shock2::bunny16:dutch

I can't hear Felix drinking, but Clementine makes cute noises when she drinks from her bowl. I can hear a slight noise from both when they drink from the bottle. I agree with everyone else; offer both a bowl and a bottle, and make sure they're eating lots of wet greens. :) I only have to refill my bottle every 4-5 days and the bowl every day or so (it's quite shallow), and that's between two bunnies.

One of my favorite things is the cute little noises my buns make when they drink from their bowl. If you're not noticing the water level going down I'd consider offering both bottle and bowl. If your rabbit eats a lot of greens they are getting some fluid that way but in general rabbits drink a fair amount of water for an animal their size.

Latest posts

Back