Are my 4 week old bunnies going to die?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarfGirl

Reaction score
I adoptedtwo 4-week old baby bunnies from someone who was getting rid of them. I've been told that theyWILL die because they are away from their mother too soon. It that true?

No, they won't necessarily die. But they are very delicate and you'll need to keep a close eye on them. They should be eating solid food by now, it's just preferable for them to be getting milk from the mom at the same time, plus the stress of moving to a new home isn't good for them.

Make sure you feed them the same brand of pellets that the breeder did. Don't add any new foods except grass hay, if the breeder wasn't feeding any. They should have as much grass hay as they want, it will help keep their intestines healthy. No veggies, no fruits, nothing that they weren't being fed before. The only reason I would switch pellets would be if they were being fed utter crud such as Kaytee Fiesta, etc.

And do be aware that it is hard to determine gender at this age. Keep checking them and don't be surprised if that little girl turns out to be a boy in a few weeks or vice versa.

The breeders should have more advice on how to keep them healthy. Best of luck, and congrats on your new babies!

I would also feed them plain dry oatmeal mixed with their pellets. The oatmeal

is very mild on their stomachs and they love it. I start all of my babies on pellets,

oatmeal and timothy hay.

They should be fine!

Good Luck!

Roger

Being separated from their mom at this age isn't a good thing. BUT...I have had to separate 4 week old babies from their mom in the past because the mom was trying to hump them to breed.

The fact that these little ones are together is a good thing...it will help to reduce their stress over the separation.

I would focus on feeding them oatmeal mixed in with their food and lots and lots of hay. I like to give alfalfa hay when they're really young - but you can use whatever hay you can get. I have just had good luck w/ alfalfa.

I wouldn't give them greens for a few weeks since you're not sure if their mama ate greens. Give them lots and lots of water....I find that when my babies get bored they love to go to the water bottle and drink.

Most of all - don't stress them out too much. For instance, while I would probably hold them and play with them (I find they get socialized much easier at this age) - I wouldn't make loud noises around them or play games like you're pretending to chase them or something.

I'd sit on the floor with them loose (or lay on the floor) - like if you can make a little pen area or something for them to play in...and then let them crawl all over you.

I'd also watch them closely for diaherrea and also try to make sure they're pooping and peeing every day. I'd flip them and check their behinds to make sure of this...

At four weeks it can be pretty hard to check their sex if you're not experienced at it - you may want to have a vet check them again at about 6 weeks (or a breeder or something) or check them yourselves.

Here is a link to a thread about this:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12064&forum_id=17

Peg

DwarfGirl wrote:
I adoptedtwo 4-week old baby bunnies from someone who was getting rid of them. I've been told that theyWILL die because they are away from their mother too soon. It that true?

Its not the best but should be ok. My 5wk old survived and I had no help. :shock:He is now going on 2 years old.:biggrin2:

I didn't read everything but I used to lightly wet down clover's pellets in her dish at about that age. It made them justa bit softer/fluffy and she GOBBLED them down. If you need something to get them to eat it - ad a little dab and I mean LITTLE of baby bananas (like lima bean size per 1/4 cup)and stir it into the moist pellets.Clover about pounced on it.

Thanks everyone :)

well I have had them for a week already so they were actually seperated at 3 weeks. They have been eating pellets (I don't know what brand they were eating before but they have already been on this brand for a week now)and hay (they have been eating timothy hay so far, it is best to leave that or switch?)and drinking fine. They have been going to the bathroom normally. I have been letting them have a lot of time outwith me on my bed. They are both becoming tamer, especially the boy who is super sweet. I will add in some oats to their pellets :)

I'd be sure to check and recheck the sex of those baby bunnies! The gender fairy visits often when lagomorphs are involved!

Sounds like they are doing fine... do they have good poos?

I wouldn't change their diet if they are eating plenty. A good Alfalfa based pellet is what would be best. If you change that - go slow. Timothy hay is awesome.

Latest posts

Back