Are head tilts permanent?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neffy28

Reaction score
I rescued a bunny from a pet store at the beginning of May. On June 11th, I was tucking him in when I saw that his head was at a 90 degree angle. He didn't seem hurt just a little disoriented.
I took him to the vet in the morning and he gave me some Baytril to give to Rufus. He has been on it now for over a week and his head tilt is still pretty bad. I don't hold him anymore because it just seems to stress him out.
I feel so trapped because I love my little guy and the vet can't do anything for him. He suggested that I put him to sleep because a rabbit with a head tilt is a lost cause.
If anyone knows something that I can do to help him and maybe straighten his head out please let me know. I am desperate!!
Thanks!

Just because the head doesn't straighten does NOT mean he is a lost cause. I have three hear with tilts (no infection) but they lead happy well adjusted lives. Ringo had been thriving with head-tilt since April 06 and still going strong. It can take them a little to adjust but they do. Gabriel has had it for alittle over two years. I also have Teresa who shows no signs of ever being sick. Also some bunnies tilt can take years to go away. I know of several cases where months to years after being treated the tilt is gone.

In these thread I have pictures and videos that can show you how well they adapt.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=39451&forum_id=16

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53181&forum_id=1

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=45541&forum_id=16&highlight=gabriels+head-tilt

You may not be able to hold them but they can be just as affectionate. Just as fun and 10x more entertaining.

Ways to help him. Hold treats on the other side of the tilt so bunny can turn to get it. Massage the neck gently.

I don't think the Baytril will be strong enough. A different antibiotic should be used. Something like injected penicillin, oral zithromax, or some other med that's newer and fewer bacteria are resistant to would be a good choice.

You can give meclizine, a human anti-seasickness med to help with the vertigo he's feeling. Also, you may want to get some artificial tears to put in the eyes. Sometimes they don't blink properly to keep their eyes moist and the down eye can be vulnerable to scratching on stuff (because it's closer to the ground).

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11840&forum_id=10

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

I think Convenia or bicillin (penicillin G combination drug) as injectibles would be good. Other options are oral chloramphenicol or azithromycin. Sometimes 2 antibiotics are used at once.

I don't have experience with head tilt but it concerns me that you said your vet said he was a lost cause. I've read of many cases of head tilt resolving or improving and even with it, bunnies can have great lives. I think I would look into finding another vet that might have more rabbit experience.

I had one of my rabbits have a head tilt and recover-we ran tests and everything came back negative. Our best guess was trama.

I am fostering another little guy who has had a tilt from an ear infection and he has his for awhile. They don't require special meds or much special attention!

They are NOT lost causes and can live full, happy lives! Please don't put your rabbit to sleep over a tilt :(

If you try to pick him up, do it so his eye that is pointing up, which will be his main eye now) is stil facing up so he can see.

Pebbles had many instances of head tilts and was able to recover. The sooner you can get some antibiotics the greater the chance for recovery.

neffy28 wrote:
I rescued a bunny from a pet store at the beginning of May. On June 11th, I was tucking him in when I saw that his head was at a 90 degree angle. He didn't seem hurt just a little disoriented.
I took him to the vet in the morning and he gave me some Baytril to give to Rufus. He has been on it now for over a week and his head tilt is still pretty bad. I don't hold him anymore because it just seems to stress him out.
I feel so trapped because I love my little guy and the vet can't do anything for him. He suggested that I put him to sleep because a rabbit with a head tilt is a lost cause.
If anyone knows something that I can do to help him and maybe straighten his head out please let me know. I am desperate!!
Thanks!

I would get a new vet. A rabbit with a head tilt is not a lost cause, they can live healthy and long lives just like any other rabbit. The head tilt may or may not resolve but if your rabbit is healthy and doing okay, then there is no need to put him to sleep. He is just a special needs bunny now and you can take care of special needs bunnies.

But yeah I would get another vet because it sounds like your vet doesn't know much about rabbits.

I feel that special needs bunnies need the most help because they are the ones that get thrown away because of having something wrong with them when they can be taken care of in a special way, ie special diet, etc.

Ruby developed head-tilt from nerve damage due to an ear infection. She was initially treated for ear mites and later developed the tilt. The shelter vet thought she had a stroke. I did some reading and found out she had nerve damage. She gets a long fine and is bonded to another special needsrabbit. I jut have to remember to pick her up a certain way or she will roll in my hands. I agree on the second opinion.

Thanks guys for all the comments. I could NEVER put him to sleep. He's my baby. I think I found another vet. Rufus seems to be doing better. He is eating everything I put in his area and drink up his water

Latest posts

Back