ARBA Convention in Indy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loplover wrote:
Love the Pics:D

I have two questions

1. Where in Grand Rapids will the convention be?

2. Why aresome varitys of certen breeds excepted befor other varitys?
Pam or someone else who knows more about show rabbits will certainly beable to share more. However, here is what I do know (forwhile you wait).

I'm going to use lionheads as an example. They were presentedthis year and tortiose passed - but the other four colors on the COD(certificate of development) did not pass.

But let's start at the beginning. First you must be a memberof ARBA for 5 years before you apply for a certificate of developmentfor a breed. Then...you spend three years working on theanimals before you present them. You have five years in whichto present your rabbits. Out of those five years - they MUSTpass three years. If you fail two years in a row, you can notpresent again.

So....Arden Wetzel...who presented for the first time in 2004 andfailed...presented again this year. His colors were REW (redeyed white), chestnut, black, tortoise and siamese sable.Since tort is the only one that passed this year - and he failed lastyear....he can only present tort again in the future. IF tortpasses two more times in the next three years (5 years - 2 years ofpresentations = 3 years left).....then lionheads will become arecognized breed. At that point, the other certificateholders can present their colors the following year. Rightnow there are two other active certificate holders for colors.

Lionhead breeders are looking at it this way. If Arden passestortoise in 2006 and 2007...then they will become a recognized breedand in 2008, the other colors can be presented (they too must passthree years out of five).

But..let's take a minute and talk about what it takes topresent. You must have FOUR rabbits in that color orvariety. You must have a senior doe, a senior buck, a juniordoe and a junior buck. The juniors MUST come from the seniors.

I'm going to give an example that was shared with lionhead breeders ona list. Let's say that you're going for chestnut.So...you breed your chestnuts and you have two outstandingseniors. This is great. Then....you breed yourseniors to have juniors for the presentation...only maybe instead of achestnut buck and chestnut doe....you get a black doe and chestnutbuck. What happens?

You have to rebreed them again and hope you have time enough to get what you need.

This means you must have several pairs of seniors that you're breedingin hopes of getting juniors - and not just getting the junior - butgetting one that is good enough to pass presentation.

It takes a lot of money and time to do this to get a breedaccepted. Lionhead breeders across the country right now arerejoicing that at least tortoise passed...but are heartbroken thatothers did not pass - particularly because it had to do with the waythe standards were written and changes that need to be made to them.

I do take comfort though in the fact that I think there is one breedthat has been going through this process for something like 12years. I forget what it is.....but I remember hearing aboutit.

I hope this helps somehow. I'm sure others can come along andclarify what I've shared....I only learned all of the ins and outs ofpresentation very recently!

Peg

www.elreylionheads.com (in case you've never seen lionheads before)

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
More.......

Breed: LionheadVariety: Sable Point (not yet recognized)

convindy10-24-05lionhead1resized.jpg

Stay tuned....
Oh wow .... one of my favorite colors from the current certificate ofdevelopment. I must say that while I like the type - I don'tcare for the mane or lack of mane...makes me wish I had sent somethingto ARBA.

Anyway - thanks for sharing....I kept looking and hoping you'd had a picture of the lionheads.

Oh - and a breeder friend bought the BOB (best of breed) for the lionheads...I'm so excited for her!

Here are some more pics of what the building looked like from the outside. There were rabbits in Both buildings!

convindy10-24-05a4resized.jpg

convindy10-24-05a5resized.jpg

convindy10-24-05a8resized.jpg

Open was in the West Pavilion and Youth were in the Pepsi Coliseum.

Sharon

Here are some pics of my rabbits. These are the Dutch:

Malibu Baybreeze - Placed 5th out of 37 rabbits.

convindymalibu10-24-05bresized.jpg

Another of him with Judge Chris Hayhow:

convindymalibu10-24-05dresized.jpg

Bergene's Myakka - She did not place in the top half of her class.

convindymyakka10-24-05aresized.jpg

Star's Elijah - He did not place in the top half of his class.

convindyelijah10-24-05aresized.jpg

Bo - She placed 24th out of 48 rabbits.

convindybo10-24-05resized.jpg

Peter's Kenosha - She did not place in the top half of the class.

convindykenosha10-24-05resized.jpg

Star's Millie - She did not place in the top half of her class.

convindymillie10-24-05aresized.jpg

Jersey Woolies to come.....

Here are the Jersey Woolies:

Star's Chubbs - He placed 6th out of 21 rabbits.

convindychubbs10-24-05resized.jpg

Another of him with the Judge, Cheryl Eng-Link:

convindychubbs10-24-05cresized.jpg

Star's Caleb - He placed 13th out of 35.

convindycaleb10-24-05resized.jpg

Star's Jenny - She did not place in the top half of her class.

convindyjenny10-23-05resized.jpg

Starbuck's Atreyu - He placed 3rd out of 17.

convindyatreyu10-24-05aresized.jpg

Star's Lillian - She placed 6th out of 13.

convindylillian10-23-05resized.jpg

One of these days I will start my own thread. But for now,these will do. These are the rabbits that I showed at theconvention. Hope you all enjoyed the pics!!

Sharon

You should have seen that place before theyremodeled it, very bad. I used to race there. It isin a very bad neighborhood though.

Ed

Yes, it is in a very bad section....Hoosierbunny(Tina who gave me Tank in Indy) told me not to stray too far off 38thStreet. I DIDN'T!!!!! Nice show anyways.

Sharon

I strayed off of 38th street manytimes. I honestly didn't think that part of town was too badexcept morning traffic. I was verynervous coming from thecountry and having to drive in a city. But it really wasn't all thatbad except when I was going to pick up the rabbits onThursday. Some person turned right on red when Iwasentering the intercection. Oh, was I shaking when I walkedinto thebuilding that day cause it happened 2 intersectionsbefore the fairgroundsLOL! The people in all therestruants I went to loved the fact they were getting 'bunny people'.Half the time I'd meet a 'bunny person' in the restruants and talk fora bit. :D

Yes, the people in the restuarants were VERYnice and thought that it was funny that we were from NewEngland. My favorite place was called Benihana's and wasacross the street from the Sheraton. It was a Japanese placewith a hibatchi (sp). VERY GOODfood!!!Sorry that we didn't figure out sooner thatwe were both going. Would have loved to meet.

What state are you from? Going to the Pennsylvania StateConvention in February in Lebanon? Glad you had a good timeat the convention.

Sharon

I wasn't out of my stomping grounds so I didn'thave to hear the 'you have an accient bit' LOL! I'm from Ohio and juststay in this state to show. Trust me there's enough shows to lastsomeone a while! LOL!

Cool, we should get together.... I absolutelylove that show. There are so many people and rabbitsthere. I travel 6 hours to go but it is worth it!!!

Sharon

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
Cool, we should get together.... I absolutely love thatshow. There are so many people and rabbits there. Itravel 6 hours to go but it is worth it!!!

Sharon

I generally don't have a moment of free time at that show because it'sso large. We go straight to bed after getting checked in onFridayso I'll get enough rest for judging over the weekend.

Judging usually runs late on Saturday, then we go straight to thebanquet. Off to bed after the banquet to get up and judgeearly Sunday. We hit the road as soon as possible for the 5hour trip home.

But I do look forward to getting to meet you there -- I just don't have timeto actually talk to anyone LOL:)

Pam

I did spend all day of Saturday's convention last yearjudging wool :tears2:(allergies)

Pam

Latest posts

Back