Apple branches - who actually buys them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitis3334

Reaction score
So I use to buy apple branches at Tractor Supply, but they haven't been carrying them lately. So I went online and found a few places selling them on Ebay and was surprised about how much they seem to get for them. Last year I went and planted 2 willow trees just for the branches, but now I'm thinking of planting a small orchard and trying to sell the branches. I have like an extra acre of property not being used, it is getting tempting. I live in NC and was looking for apple orchards nearby and surprisingly there really aren't many. My area is mostly converting to grapes for wineries now, which I guess some rabbits like, but Cricket prefers apple. So does anyone buy them online? I'm looking around for a good deal on them, even if I do plant some trees it will be a while before I get anything out of them. For the most part the going rate seems to be about $12 for a 45 pack on ebay, not sure about shipping though.

I would be careful getting apple branches from an orchard. Chances are they would be sprayed with all kinds of nasty things you don't want your rabbit ingesting. I get mine from my mom's tree which is never sprayed.

Before we move from CA, we had five different apple trees and a total of fifteen different fruit trees. Sure do miss it, but the weather here is not as conducive to raising fruit trees and fruit. Unless I grow and cut my own, I'm not going to give them to my babies.

Thats another thing I was wondering about, most of the sellers say they are organic, but it isn't like it is regulated by anybody, they can be saying anything. Well next year should be interesting, between the garden I plan on starting and the fruit trees I think I will be busy.

The word organic doesnt means anything in terms of what youre looking for. As you said, its just not regulated.

Post an ad on craigslist. There are TONS of people out there with fruit trees they dont care about... so they dont spray... and they may be willing to sell you some or give you for free, a few branches :)

I use Lilac brances for everything just because there all over the place here and between the ones in our yard and the neighbours I steal... shh... I know their 100% safe.

I bought some from Farmer Dave's website, but Olive doesn't seem to care for them all that much. I discovered that Simon does seem to like them, so I'm glad to have a bunny who will chew up the rest of the sticks I ordered!

I bought a package of apple branches once from a pet store when I'd cut down most of the apple tree in my backyard, and neither of my rabbits really wanted them. However, whenever I do take branches from my backyard tree - which has since sprouted back most of its self - they devour the branches from it like crazy.

As for cost, I'm always amazed at the markup on such products in stores. hehe...even today....I broke down and purchased a piece of deer antler from a local pet store for my dogs. It's tiny...maybe 6" long or so, and it cost me $18.00, plus tax! :shock: The only reason I did get it was because antlers are supposed to be very good for dogs to chew on, and they last forever vs. a less safe alternative of rawhide. Still, that's a LOT of money to pay...

What a waste of money buying those apple branches.

I have purchased them a few times (you'd think i would have learnt after the first time) mine will give a couple of chews then nothing. They don't look at them again.

Someone gave me some branches from an apple orchard that they had picked, now those they went nuts for.

So like someone else said don't waste your money.

Mine LOVE :heartbeat:willow branches and willow leaves.

Susan:)

Back