Apparently there was a mix up with Lucy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoh

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you remember but I haveposted before about Lucy's size and the fact that she should only be 12weeks old but already weighs 3.4 pounds today. She is supposeto be a mini rex!!!!! Some of you have told me that youthought her hair was a bit long for a mini rex and others have told methat she is probably older than what I was told. We boughther at Tractor Supply, there were two tubs with buns in them , one withbuns that would get bigger I'm not sure of the breed and a tub with themini rexs. My husband had picked up one of the ones thatwould get bigger and just fell in love with it but I said "NO we can'thave one that will get that big, we need to get the mini" sowe picked Lucy, she looked almost like the other one so we werehappy.

Today, I have been thinking of the size issue so I called the breeder(tractor supply gave me his number) I have called him oncebefore but I wanted to double check with him. He said that ifLucy is one of Hazels buns she was born Jan. 7th, making her 12 weeksyesterday. He also said that if she is Hazels babythat she already weighs more than her Mom. He askedif she has really short velvety hair, if some of you hadn't told methat you thought her hair was too long I probably would have said yesbecause it is very very soft and smoothbut instead I told himwhat you said. So he thinks that somebody switched buns andwe have one of the other BIG ones. He didn't want to talk badabout the other breeder but he did say that she likes to experimentwith different breeds, mixing breeds etc.GREAT!

So now I don't know what we have. I am attaching some morepictures, what do you think? What do you think sheis? She is 12 weeks old and weighs 3.4 pounds today.

The thing about when he asked me about the short velvety hair, the onethat my husband wanted to get DID have shorter hair...she was probablythe mini rex but because they looked so similar at the store theydidn't realize that someone had mixed them up.

Help! How big will she get?

Joy

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01087.jpg

Joy oh joy! I understand crossbreeding forspecific purposes (like I'm working on lionlops)...but in situationslike this - it can be heartbreaking.

Maybe see if TSC will give you the number of the other breeder and talk to them?

I don't know much about breeds other than lionhead but I'm guessing you wound up getting the larger breed one.

Peg

spoh wrote:
He didn't want totalk bad about the other breeder but he did say that she likes toexperiment with different breeds, mixing breeds etc.GREAT!

So now I don't know what we have. I am attaching some morepictures, what do you think? What do you think sheis? She is 12 weeks old and weighs 3.4 pounds today.

The thing about when he asked me about the short velvety hair, the onethat my husband wanted to get DID have shorter hair...she was probablythe mini rex but because they looked so similar at the store theydidn't realize that someone had mixed them up.

Help! How big will she get?

Joy

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01087.jpg

TinysMom wrote:
Joy oh joy! I understand crossbreeding for specific purposes(like I'm working on lionlops)...but in situations like this - it canbe heartbreaking.

Maybe see if TSC will give you the number of the other breeder and talk to them?

I don't know much about breeds other than lionhead but I'm guessing you wound up getting the larger breed one.

Peg

That is exactly what we think too! The thing is, the otherone is the one that my husband wanted and I said NO...goodgrief!

Now what do we do, the NIC cage that I built is no where near bigenough for a big bunny I figured it was fine for a mini with as muchfreedom as she gets but a big one it's only 2 X 4 grids and only onehigh, I will definetly have to go up a layer. Thenof course it won't fit where it needs to fit anymore.....OH MY OH MY

0.0 wow she looks the size of babii (or bigger) and babii is a year and some days..

and Lucy is only 3 months!..wow

Maybe she'll be one of those bunnys who weigh like 60 pounds..Oppssorry trying not to scare you but if iwere you i'd be excited.

Brandy456 wrote:
0.0 wow she looks the size of babii (or bigger) and babii isa year and some days..

and Lucy is only 3 months!..wow

Maybe she'll be one of those bunnys who weigh like 60 pounds..Oppssorry trying not to scare you but if iwere you i'd be excited.
WOW thanks! That makes me feel soooooo muchbetter. Okay, give me some things to be excited about becauseI'm scared! How big she really get? Herweight will start slowing down right? RIGHT?

Joy

I don't think you'll have to worry about her growing to 60lbs ;)

She probably will get a bit bigger. I guess it's just a waitinggame.If she does get to be agoodsizedbunny, well hey, a bit more of her tolove! :D

Don't worry, 2x4 with some outside play time isplenty of room, even for a medium/large bun. Is it possibleto only put a second level on part of the cage? Or just overlap the grids using zapstraps so they go as high as the space willallow?

I would guess your girl is going to be about 6 pounds. Are weall making bets and taking numbers now to see who's closest?

--Dawn

So pretty much double what she is now, thatwon't be too bad. I hope she settles down some as she growsup, I can't imagine a 8 pounder flying across my book shelves like shedoes......book shelves and window sills are new for thisweek! Last week she was happy with just the couch and endtable. Gotta love her!

Joy

Hmmm. I got my mini rex girls at about8 weeks old and they didn't grow TOO much bigger from when I got them,or maybe they did and I didn't notice since I see them everyday. If the breed is switched, maybe the age is switched,too? She sure looks more mature and older than 12 weeks tome. :)

So I can't predict she'll be a 14 pound Flemish mix???

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

aurora369 wrote:
Don't worry, 2x4 with some outside play time is plenty ofroom, even for a medium/large bun. Is it possible to only puta second level on part of the cage? Or just over lap thegrids using zapstraps so they go as high as the space will allow?
I have my foster girls (who each weight about 5.5 lbs) each in a 4x2x2and they are fine. They each get some run time so its enough.

She sure is pretty though!

TinysMom wrote:
So I can't predict she'll be a 14 pound Flemish mix???

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:
Absolutely not! What are you guys trying to do to me? :scared:

I forgot I was going to ask about herpellets. I have been giving her unlimited like I have read todo for young ones, when I was talking to the man who I THOUGHT was herbreeder yesterday he said that she shouldn't ever get more than 1/2 cupper day. Well, yesterday I tried letter her bowl stay emptyfor a little while......that didn't go over so well. She madeit perfectly clear that was unexceptable! Assumingthat she did get switched, there was a sign on the other tub that said7 weeks old on it but when we asked if that was right we were told thatsign was a week old so she would have been 8 weeks at that point so shewould be more like 13 weeks now. Whichever litter she camefrom she is somewhere between 11-13 weeks old so she should getunlimited pellets right?

Joy

Give her all her all the pellets she wants fornow,but watch her weight closely. I have some rabbits who are 4 yearsold and eat all the time but never gain an ounce, then others the eatan ounce and it looks like they gain 2. They are likepeople. Some have higher metabolisms then others.Give her enough to keep her from being skin and bones, and to keep hermuscles well formed, but not enough for her to gain fat. Youcan't rely on feeding guidelines all the time, just experience with therabbit. Also if you end up having to give her less pelletsbecause she is gaining to much weight, then give her some timothy hayto nibble on when she runs out of pellets. She won't be as hungery andit's good for her gut. Alfalpha can be fattening so that iswhy I reccomend timothy unless you have a rabbit that is skin and bonesor a baby. Well hope this is helpful.

Latest posts

Back