apparently the term breeding like rabbits is not acurate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaya17

Reaction score
Just a warning I'm about to major rant
I have had such an incredibly hard time breeding my does this year, so I started trying to breed in November with my French lop pair, I bred twice, each time after the other, each time I had at least two successful matings, and each time no babies, two days ago my himalayand doe was due with three successful matings, no babies, I have to breed my frenchies by the fifth for meatpen, I tried everything I left them out in the spring weather for awhile, I took them for a bouncy car ride, and both does, my first time doe and my so called prooven doe, will not breed, I put them in the bucks pen and they don't even lift for me or anything, I checked if they were even in heat and of course there not, in all five years of breeding this has never happened to me, any suggestions?

It isn't all that unusual. I know other breeders who have gone through 'dry spells' and can't hardly get a litter. Everyone has their own method of breeding for litters. I found with our rabbits that breeding only once or twice didn't always meet with success. If you're getting 2-3 successful breedings at one time then you might consider waiting a couple of hours (or even the next day) and then doing it another 2-3 times.

One of our Tan does just does NOT like the breeding process but she makes some awesome babies. We have to hold her because she won't stop running in circles long enough for the buck to even get close. We even have to lift her rear end to help the buck make contact. It usually works, but is not the optimal situation.

Yes it seems like i have to lift most of my tan does or hold them down for the bucks. I put one hand over the head make sure their tail is up and lift up the rear for the buck. It can be hard but as long as your buck is willing to try to breed then you can find a way that works

Other things i have heard is make sure your doe has had a recent litter (within a year) or had a litter before they turned one year old.

Are your bucks proven?

And try different bucks with the same doe (of course not at one time)

Latest posts

Back