Anyone thought of fostering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horselvrkc

Reaction score
Today my mom thought that it would be a good idea to foster animals at the shelter (particularly kittens) because she is not allergic to kittens, but she is to cats. So i sent an aplication to be a foster parent and i am so exciteed!

Has anyone else done this? or is doing this?

Do you think riley would get along with a kitten? they would look so cute together!!!

-Kat

Well, I just got a three month old kitten that gets along very well with my rabbit :) But I think it depends a lot of the personalities of the animals involved, too...

.....P.S. How can your mom not be allergic to kittens, but be allergic to cats? :? They have the same dander, and the same hair...

Has to do with the saliva and a hormone or something. I cannot remember the actual explanation but it's possible. As the cat reaches a certain age they start producing a certain something thatsome people are more allergic to.

My father was always highly allergic to animals. When we rescued two kittens he had no reaction at all to them. They kept one and he has never reacted to her but if he goes somewhere else where there is a cat, he'll react.

When I saw that, I decided to research it and found that it was indeed possible. I guess since he was exposed gradually to it he became immune to it. I guess it was kind of similar to injection treatmentsyou can get for allergies. :)

That's interesting.... I might have to research that a little more, since I have a young kitten, and my mom is deathly allergic to cats. I didn't think about there being a hormone that young kittens might lack.
When I was little, we had a cat, but my mom got more allergic to her, and she was going in for the allergy shots, but she could only get to a certain level before the reaction was so bad she'd have to stop :? And it didn't get any better, the more she did it....so we had to give up the kitty.
As it is, I'm going to need to have someone board my kitten when I'm up there for vacations/holidays, but I'll think about that some more and see if I can talk to my mom about it... Very interesting. :p

But yes, as far as kittens getting along with rabbits.... I posted a thread about that some time before I got my kitten, and the feedback I got was mostly "It'll be fine, but watch them closely when they're together"

~Diana and Butter

Yep...I pretty much think about fostering every single day...

I'm just waiting for more space, and to get used to the large amount of buns I'll have once that house comes about...lol!!

:biggrin2:

MsBinky wrote:
Has to do with the saliva and a hormone or something. I cannot remember the actual explanation but it's possible. As the cat reaches a certain age they start producing a certain something thatsome people are more allergic to.
It's the dander an animal produces.

When I get my own place, I'll foster animals. But right now, my mom won't let me.

If our shelter up here had rabbits though...I'd go up there and foster all of them. :p

i cannot foster any thing ... i would end up keeping everything that came thru my door...lol...thats how i got my bunny Foster... i get to attached...

I am fostering 2 chinchillas. SO FUN!

Being a foster mom is so rewarding.

It's really hard not to "fail" at being a foster mom (ie. Adopt your own foster pet).

I'm sure there are many many bunnies that need fostering too!

I'm a member of the Failed Foster Mom Club! One bunny fostered, one bunny kept (well, technically not officially but...).

Although I too am confused as to why she's allergic to adult cats but not kittens. And it is actually more from a protein in the saliva than the dander- my husband is allergic to our cats.

I wanted to introduce our cats to the rabbits when they were still kittens, but they kept getting sick. Oh, well. Mocha gets really upset when she sees them anyway. But they get along great with Oberon the "foster" bunny. Iffy with Fey and Sprite, because Eve keeps wanting to play with them and they don't stand up to her like Oberon does.

Yea i know its confusing about the dander and the saliva and stuff. But when i went with my mom to fix my bike, the guy starting talking about how they foster kittens and how his wife is allergic to cats, but not kittens. Even if she is allergic, we would foster anyway! lol

:dude:

Latest posts

Back