Anyone Spin Rabbit Fur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tauntz

Reaction score
I've been told Jersey wooly & angora bunny fur can be spun for yarn. I'm interested in learning more & possibly learning to spin the fur of my two Jersey wooly girls. Think it could be a fun hobby & use for bunny fur. Thanks for any info to assist me in learning more about spinning bunny fur.

Have you done any spinning before? Rabbit fur is fairly difficult for a beginning spinner because the length of the hairs (called the "staple length") is much shorter, and the hairs are much finer than most sheep's wool.

However, if spinning rabbit wool is your goal, you should be able to get there with a little practice. My recommendation is that you check out the forums on Ravelry.com, particularly http://www.ravelry.com/groups/beginning-spinning (You'll need an account to view the forum). That's how I learned to spin--some of the best spinners of our time are in there providing advice and guidance for free.

If I were you, I would look into drop spindles, or even supported spindles. A basic spindle is cheap (you can even make one yourself!), whereas even a cheap spinning wheel can cost in the range of $400. Good sheep wools for learning are Corriedale and BFL (blue-faced leicester), which have staple lengths of 3-4 inches, as opposed to the 1-2 inches you'll get from a bunny.

Youtube is another great place to search for tutorials. There's a ton of information on the web for learning to spin--a few searches should turn up lots of resources for you.

And feel free to send me a message if you like! I'm not really an experienced spinner, but I did learn to do it from the internet.

Thanks, Emma! No, I've never done any spinning other than the kind that makes me dizzy! lol Just thinking it might be something I could do as a fun little hobby with my bunnies fur. I'm into crafty things. Love making homemade items & gifts. So thought I would start here for more research into using bunny fur/wool for spinning into yarn. My first little online search yielded little info on bunny fur/wool for spinning so thought this would be a good place to possibly find members who spun bunny fur/wool. Will definitely check out your Ravelry.com link! Don't be surprised if I take you up on the offer to PM you to chat more about spinning. lol Thanks again! Love to learn & find new things to do!

I have just started to learn to spin,..by a hand done drop spindle, I got a bunch of wool roving to practice on before starting in on my angora wool, that the more I read i will be mixing with another fiber to make it stronger.

Yeah, bunny fiber is very soft, but it's not as strong as wool, and it's also less elastic. In most applications people do blend it with wool, but fiber preparation is a whole different skill that involves different tools. It's not hard, though.

o_O WHOA! I never even thought of this!

-imagines myself, in a few years, knitting with rabbit fur I collected myself- omg. OMG! You clever girls, you!!!

Go to joyofhandspinning.com for spinning instructions. I recommend practicing with wool first. You need to decide if you will use a wheel or a drop spindle. Instructions for both are on that site. I learned a lot there. I use a drop spindle right now, but so far only spin wool at this time. I am waiting to collect more fluff from my bunnies and a lighter spindle. Apparently, it takes a light spindle for bunny fur. Keep us (or at least me) posted on your spinning adventures!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Thank you for the info! Great sites everyone! I'm doing my reading now. So glad I asked here about spinning! Now I have some great sites & know some members here who do spin bunny wool! Nice to have people to talk to as you are learning something new! Will be here asking questions & updating about my spinning progress!

Oh for those of you who already spin their bunny wool, may I ask what breed of rabbit you have that you spin their wool? Any Jersey wooly wool spinners? Thanks everyone for your replies! You guys are awesome!!!!

My bunny that just molted is mainly jersey wooly and I can tell his wool is spinnable. Bugsy is lionhead and angora. I'm just waiting for him to molt. His fur is super long and will be a joy to spin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I definitely don't have the patience for spinning fur BUT I am collecting rabbit fur to stuff a little pillow for my cat! I'm hoping that a Sophie smelling pillow will help my cat bond with her more:)

I hope to see your fur project when it's done! Good luck:)

If you decide to use a spindle (much cheaper, and very portable), there is a spindlers' group on yahoo. I keep getting the weekly updates, though I haven't participated in conversations in years. Not sure why. Perhaps I should start again.
Also, there and on ravelry I have the same screen name as here. I have it pretty much everywhere.

Thanks again! Doesn't look like I am going to be getting to do much reading/research this week, already started out with a heavier schedule than I anticipated! Darn! Well, the upcoming weekend will do! I'll be ready & needing some relaxing time with bunnies & bunny wool! lol

Back