Anyone know of a New Zealand doe that raised ten babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCWelch

Reaction score
My NZ white doe (Pinky) gave birth to a litter of 10 last night. All currently appear healthy and full, I am just wondering if anyone has had New Zealand or similar size rabbit raise all 10 (or more) without help.
I always breed 2 does at the same time to foster if I need to, however my other doe which was bred the same day and is positive on palpation has not kindled yet. Both her (Madame X) and Pinky were due on the 18th. Both were bred the same day last litter and kindled within hours of each other.

I am truly hoping I do not have to cull any because she can not care for them, there is one baby that looks blue or gray. Which is strange because she is NZ White(No other color in her background) and Nosy is a black and white Checkered Giant with no blue in his background.:?

I had a female 9 pound California that came into my rescue and had 9 babies. All of them lived with no problems so hopefully she can raise them all. Good Luck

New Zealand rabbits routinely raise 10 or more kits.

Having Ruby Eyed White means the true colors are covered by the white coat. So it is possible for the doe to carry blue and possible for the buck who is black to carry blue that is masked by the black.

Since the buck and the doe can contribute one blue gene each, it is possible to get the blue kit that would need to have two blue genes to wear a blue coat.

Have a good day!

Thank you Rabbit Geek, Mimi and Mandy. I checked on them this evening and they all seem to have "ping pong ball" stomachs. I just wish my other doe would hurry up, after all they were bred the same day.

My other one actually had hers on the due date, she had 10 also last night.
So lets see, both litters had the same father, a black checkered giant, both mothers are NZ Whites, their litters are both 5 spotted black ones and 5 selfs, most are solid black but Pinky has one that is going to be either gray or blue.
Pictures coming possibly tomorrow if I find time and the weather is warm.

I need some advice. I have a few babies that do not appear to be getting enough milk. There bellies are still quite wrinkled after feeding, can I supplement with something to help these little ones along?

Madame X's brood

05192011398.jpg

05192011399.jpg

Pinky's Brood, can someone tell me what color that light bunny is. It looks blue to me. These are New Zealand and Checkered Giant crossbreeds.

05192011395.jpg

05192011396.jpg

05192011397.jpg

We rescued 3 New Zealand/Florida White crosses once, and each one of them was pregnant and gave birth to 12 babies each. It was an absolute nightmare considering we only had 6 holes at the time...

But yeah, definitely possible!

I'm sorry I am still lost as to why you would even breed a new zealand white with a checkered giant not once but twice. .
It does look like a blue. blue is dilute for black and agreeing with rabbit geek REWs mask colors in past generations.

When our doe had babies the ones that didnt look like they were getting enough milk I would give some extra nursing time by laying the babies on a towel in my lap and then setting momma on them and giving her lots of ear rubs and love and the babies would nurse. If they still arent finding the nipple I would hold the kit in my hand and hold them up to a full tit to get fed. Good Luck :)

CCWelch wrote:
I need some advice. I have a few babies that do not appear to be getting enough milk. There bellies are still quite wrinkled after feeding, can I supplement with something to help these little ones along?
sorry here is the question I should have put with the above post :)

Thank you lauren.

Pinky lost one today, My rabbits have outside pens and when I went up to check on them after our severe weather one was out of the nestbox on the wire. I warmed it back up but it did not help, the others ostracized it and pushed it out of the "warm zone". I checked an hour later and it had died. :(

Latest posts

Back