Anyone know anything about 4H ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Lily

Reaction score
I hope this is the right section for this.

I have been considering letting my daughter join 4H (the 14 carrot rabbit club ) but the internet does have much info on what they are all about.We were at the county fair last night and i left my info at the 4H tent so while i am awaiting their reply does anyone have any experiences of info they can share about it?

I am the superintenant for the Rabbit Barn at the fair, I also run the 4-h judging and showing. I am more than willing to answer all the questions I can.
However, county to county the way they do things could vary.

Send me a PM, We'll get to talking.

What the actual project does varies from region to region and among the individual clubs. Some do breeding and showing while others focus on pets. The club I am involved in (not as 4-H though) does rabbit hopping as the project, bu also does a bit of showmanship.

You can check out the 4-H organization for your state. It should have lots of info on joining and what the requirements are as those are the same for all clubs in the region. There is also info on events and the clubs in the region.

To learn more about the actual club, you need to talk with the leader (preferably the leader of the project you are doing). It might be possible to attend a meeting to see how it is run and if you and your daughter like it. Things can change from year to year, so just know that what you see might be different than what actually is going on once you join.

I was in 4-H when I was young, and my children have been in 4-H groups for 20 years. I was also the advisor of a rabbit 4-H group in Ohio. I also judge rabbit 4-H showmanship and breed shows.

The quality of the group depends on the leadership. We've enjoyed being in 4-H over the years. A week at fair was like Christmas to my kids!

Definitely talk to your local 4H organization. Each county in Indiana has different sets of rules under the guidance of Purdue University. Each state is different. We LOVE 4H in our household. My son was a 10 year member last year. My daughter is a 6 year member.

I don't know what area or State you are from, but in Michigan you go to the Extension Office - here it is the MSU Extension, in your county and normally the County 4-H office is located there. We start our enrollments in the fall, but this is a good time to start looking for a club that offers what your child is interested in. If it is rabbits, then you will let them know that your want a reputable club that is located in your area - unless you want to travel to the next town to join one. My club is located in one town, but we recruit from three other towns in the area because we specialize in rabbits, poultry, and crafts predominately. We also have our county Rabbit & Cavy Quiz Bowl teams, and we recruit both in county youth and outside of county your who want a more indepth experience with rabbits and cavies. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back