Anyone keep their rabbits outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone_family3

Reaction score
I have a few questions. I'm building a chicken coop and run this spring. I'm moving Belldandy outside once the chicks are big enough. Since she will be outside on some chilly nights just like the chicks will a heat lamp work well in her hutch?

The lamp will be on a thermometer so if it kicks below a certain temp it will kick on to keep it above whatever temp I set it on.

We have most of the buns outdoors. They are in the shed and we have an heater in there that you use for a house in the winter. It keeps the water not to freeze

I was considering one of two options.

1.) Lots of straw and a heated water bowl
2.) Lots of straw and a heat lamp

How cold does it get at night? I use a microwavable heatpad (called a snugglesafe) at night when it gets below about 5oC.

Insulation is really important. Not much point putting the heat in if it just escapes back out again :)

Most of my rabbits are outdoors with no heat. Even the wind chill factor rarely gets into the single digits here. I freeze my hands and feet feeding and watering rabbits daily. If I wasn't so lazy I would put on socks and gloves. They drink from bowls and often chew the ice overnight. When it's 40 or warmer during the day I let my indoor rabbits go play outdoors. The reason I have a few indoors is I don't have enough outdoor hutches.

During the Early spring or late fall it can drop below to the freezing mark. She will come in dead of winter. Her coop will have some insulation.

Rabbits can handle the cold a lot better than the heat. They key is to have insulation, no wetness, no wind, and up the pellets just a little bit. In my hutches, I have heated dog beds that I plug in.

Stone_family3 wrote:
During the Early spring or late fall it can drop below to the freezing mark. She will come in dead of winter. Her coop will have some insulation.

Rabbits deal with the cold alot easier than with heat. She should be fine in the winter as long as her hutch is protected from drafts and she has a nice cozy box with hay/straw to cuddle in.

Feeding some more pellets will help too because it gives her more calories that she will burn by keeping warm. Water is just as important, too.

Emily

As long as you're protected from the cold, outta the sun, and most importantly, away from predetors than you'll be okay!

Latest posts

Back