Anyone Got Pet Insurance?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
I was going to get VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance) about a year ago on just Harper, but I figured he wouldn't need to see a vet much in his lifetime. Until he started getting GI problems. Then, I got Haley, and she needed her $30 check-up. I'm thinking I may sign them up, and do the 1 year plan, where I only pay once a year. If that plan is still available. I'd like to cover the guinea pigs too, since one has an on-going immuno problem and needs regular vet visits.

Anyone else here have pet insurance? Who's it through, if not VPI?

For those who don't know about it:

http://www.petinsurance.com

I dont have it, but I have been seriously considering it. With 3 rabbits, it seems like I have been in the vet quite a bit lately. I guess Im just nervous about what it actually covers. It seems kinda too good to be true. it looks like its about 6.oo per month for each of my rabbits. Im paying way more than that to the vet.

Let me know what you find out!

-Haley

sounds like a good idea to me. its something i have considered in the past with my rats. with just two rabbits 6 bucks a month each wouldnt be bad at all.

when i start working again i think i am going to get it for both the buns. why not?

You have to read the fine print, most do not cover the expensive stuff that most people would want it for and things like spays and neuters are not covered either. For me, it's cheaper to put awaythe money that I would spend paying for insurance and save it up and it would probably do me a lot better.

I don't know about over there,but over here the pet insurance does not cover any existing illnesse's,so just say that a bunny has had arthritis and needs on going treatment,and then you join up pet insurance,well it will not be covered,it will be only covered if it is a new illness,and then not everything is covered anyway,

i actually talked to someone from the company about it,but i realized it just wasn't worth it,to me,it's better if you just have a special little bunny account put aside for emergencies,and vetcheckups:)

cheryl

I have pet insurance for both Perry and Pernod, and it has been really worth it. When Pernod ended up in hospital for 2 dayslast year, the end bill came to over £300 ($550), but I only had to pay the excess - £45 ($80).

I am insured with Petplan, and they were excellent - the cheque arrived in a few days. Again, it doesn't cover existing problems, spays/neuters or most dental problems (although abcesses caused by teeth problems are covered), but for any illness or accident, it is very worthwhile. At least I can rest easy knowing that if there is (God forbid) any major problem, I can afford the treatment :)

Jan

JimD wrote:
Most of the pet insurances that i've looked into don't cover rabbits.

The one that MBH was talking about Veterinary Pet Insurance, says that they do cover rabbits. Im still unsure though..

haley

hh2420 wrote:
JimD wrote:
Most of the pet insurances that i've looked into don't cover rabbits.

The one that MBH was talking about Veterinary Pet Insurance, says that they do cover rabbits. Im still unsure though..

haley
That's got to be one of the first in the US.
Does the vet have to be part of the plan, or does this work with any vet?

Jim, it works with any vet. If the vet is a part of the plan, you get the discount instantly. If they are not, then you can still see them, and the insurance will refund you a check for the difference after they pay their part.

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Jim, it works with any vet. If the vet is a part of the plan, you get the discount instantly. If they are not, then you can still see them, and the insurance will refund you a check for the difference after they pay their part.
COOL!! Do they cover for spay/neuter too?
I've got 4 spays on deck.

From what I can gather, it doesnt cover spay/neuter or any previous/existing illnesses....I still think it might be worth it for future accidents, illnesses etc.

Again, I still need to check into it. Im just a little skeptical that I'll buy it and then find out it doesnt really cover anything they need! :)

-haley

Latest posts

Back