Anyone got Guinea pigs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only new concern is that the area i've decided to put Anouk in this afternoon when we leave, Barnaby (the male) has holed himself up in their for days. It seems to be his new "happy place", im not sure if he's upset about something or just his regular shy old self.
Im more worried about Anouk and the babies, she can be a bit snippy to the others whereas Barnaby is very quiet and un-territorial..

The only danger leaving a boar in with a sow who just gave birth is to haveher get pregnant again (possibly trampling the babies trying to do so) Since this boar is neutered that isn't going to happen.

By nature guinea pigs are very social creatures, a boar won't kill his young. I have a friend who raises and shows guinea pigs and she uses some of her boars to "nanny" her young boars who have just been weaned.

I think in this case since the boar is neutered leaving him with the sow and babies is fine.

Great, Im thinking that he will be a good dad! Not long now, she's really big and can't seem to walk very far.. Im hoping they will be born this weekend on Easter!

It's up to you. I wouldn't really know if he -for sure- wouldn't attack them, I don't breed Guinea Pigs.
Remember females sexually mature as early as 4 weeks.

Worried!! Anouk seems to be hopping a fair bit and not using her back left leg... im not sure this is normal.. but I can't really take her to the vet as she's so big it would probably stress her to try and pick her up! :(

she still hasn't given birth.. and she seems to find it so hard to walk far. But she's eating and drinking and hopping around a little... im hoping she will have them soon as she just looks so uncomfortable! :(

* as we speak my naughty bun Willoughby is scratching the door down for attention! Lol *

Nope, I'd say she's gonna give birth any day now. I haven't been able to get her to the vet this week (death in the family). And she's so big im afraid to pick her up. I checked her foot and it seems to be ok, when i touch and gently squeeze it, it doesn't hurt her. So maybe the babies are sitting just above it and making it a bit painful.

Bex&Bun wrote:
Nope, I'd say she's gonna give birth any day now. I haven't been able to get her to the vet this week (death in the family). And she's so big im afraid to pick her up. I checked her foot and it seems to be ok, when i touch and gently squeeze it, it doesn't hurt her. So maybe the babies are sitting just above it and making it a bit painful.

Sorry for your loss :hug:

I would guess that the pregnancy/babies have something to do with her leg. I wouldnt get too worried about it right now.

Those piggies that misty's referring to are called skinny piggies. They are born that way. I think they look like little hippos. :)

I'm glad her foot seems to be ok. I know when I was about to pop w/ each of my kids, I was extremely uncomfortable. It sounds like she'll give birth soon. Keep us posted.

So Anouk gave birth today!! Unfortunately we are up the coast staying with my bf mother (as his grandmother passed) and we were attending the funeral. My dad rang me and told me she had 9 babies.. im not silly enough to believe him! She had three babies but one was stillborn :( I can't wait to see them when I get home tomorrow!! :)

Any advice for the new piggies for a first time piggie mum!?

Congratulations :)

There's not much to do for the babies. Mum will do all the work! And fortunately they can eat and drink the same as the mum, so it's very easy. You can handle them straight away. I would handle them for a while every day (as long as the mother doesn't seem to mind) and handle them more and more each day, so they'll be nice and tame.

I used to have a rabbit and two guinea pigs living together with no problems, so I'm not judging you or anything. But I would be afraid that a rabbit might hurt a baby guinea pig, just since they're so tiny. Just in case the rabbits squashed them, or didn't know what they were and attacked them. You can put the daddy guinea pig in with the mom and babies though as soon as you want, that hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

And the boys can reproduce from 3-4 weeks old. I seperated my male baby pig at 4 weeks, and he was just fine. And I bought another male who was 5 weeks old, and he was fine without his mum. :)

Can't wait to see photos :D

yep, as soon as I get home they will be seperated! Don't want any accidents happening. Im pretty sure my dad seperated them already. Im hoping i'll be able to sex them accurately when I get home to name them! We are actually hoping for two girls.. to call Thomasina and Winifred :)

Congrats on your new babies! I'm sorry about the stillborn. The only thing I'd like to add is to make sure mom and babies get alfalfa hay. And you don't have to separate the boys til they're 21days old. They need to be w/ mom until then. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back