Anyone Feel Like I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tinymonster wrote:
This is a bit off topic but for those of you are say you have no friends and feel lonely, have you considered volunteering at a shelter? You would meet lots of people with the same interests and passions as you.
I tried. This is a small area and basically you have the local animal shelter (open from like 10:00 to 4:00 Monday thru Friday and then Saturday, I work Monday thru Friday). There is a local rescue group that rescues dogs and cats. Will and I tried but they are very unorganized. They will e-mail you at the last minute needing help and it drives me crazy. We tried to help once and were treated very rudely by a long standing volunteer. It seemed if we wanted to work at the farm, they wanted us at an event and vice versa. It was too much hassle.

My boyfriend is the same way.

His mother is VP of the humane society here and a big time lover of cats. (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7895&l=8c450&id=687011688

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=21792&l=86663&id=687011688

only a few of her cats!) Most of the cats she ends up keeping are ferals that would have been put back outside or euthed or cats that have some behavior issues that nobody would want to deal with. So you'd think he'd be OK with me fostering and having more then two animals. Not so, living in a housefull of cats where the cats came first has soured him. And he assumes because I foster cats that I'll end up being just like his mother and soon the house will be full of cats and he'll be at the end of the totem pole.

I know no longer even ask if he'll mind this or that. I know his answer, and frankly don't care for it seeing as I moved to this city for him because he didn't want to move out of the GTA. I have no friends here (just some people I know through the humane society) this makes me happy so he can deal with it. He always gives me the silent treatment for a bit and then is fine. So hopefully yours will come around too or at least tolerate it.

I really don't think I every asked. I just showed up home with a couple of foster buns one day. He is so used to it now, when one gets adopted his only question is "when is the next one arriving?" He really loves the fosters though. Virgil is penned in his home office and I always hear my hubby talking to him.

Hehe too cute.

I think our motherly (not a mother but am a woman)instincts kick and we just see them as innocent creatures who need that love. I guess that is why the men (in general) have a hard time understanding? I have no kids yet and though I adore kids, now is just not possible and this is where I put my attention and time. I guess that's why I get upset. And yes, me too, I should be leaving my coutry to be with him and it is definitely something I want to keep doing. He did however say that he'd be willing to help (by giving me his blessing lol)as long as we have more space. I guess he just doesn't like having animals in the house much...

It's especially hard for me because I grew up in a family that always brought home animals. I never had to ask when it was a special situation and most of the time my father was the one bringing them home. I guess it's just not something I was expecting to have to deal with :?Lol

Oh man, do I ever hear what you guys are saying. Roy (my DH) used to get mad at me for taking in more rabbits, but I think now it's gotten to where he has seen the awful condition thatalot of them are in when they come to me, and he understands a little better how much they really need help. There have been so many times that I will go pick up a rabbit, bring it home and take it in the back room to examin it, and come back in crying because of what I found. LIke Toby...I really didn't think he was going to make it, he refused to touch ANY kind of food at all for 12 days. I kept him going with pellet/Pedialyte slurry in a syringe. Every morning I would walk into his room afraid to look into his cage.

I am the same way about people, too, I really only have one friend and I hardly ever get to see her because of our conflicting schedules. She is an animal nut like me, LOL. And like undergunfire said, I would be afraid to try and volunteer at a shelter! I think Roy would put his foot down about that one anyway, he knows me too well to think I wouldn't be bringing home every critter that got sent to the back room. Every time I go somewhere there is an animal that someone is trying to give away or something, (assuming I manage to not bring it home!) I will call him and say, "You're lucky you have such agood wife." And he will say, "What was it this time?" :p

Latest posts

Back